Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a new headset as the one in the photo is always getting loose on me after every 80 miles or so. Is Chris King a good choice? I want something thats gonna last and not raddle when I ride over bumps. Any suggs? Thanks....Justin :D

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
... King headsets are the high standard for traditional threaded and threadless headsets... and should give years of service... but note, that many might consider the King sets a bit of overkill... owing that you can get a quality headset for less (personally, I've got Kings on about every frame I've got that'll accept them). Also note that if your bearings, cups and races are in good shape... a bit of maintenance might bring the old set back to life for a song.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#headset

Bottom line, a replacement King headset, if deemed necessary either by damage to the original or choice... is a solid investment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, what type of headset do I have in the photo? Threaded or Threadless? I'm still learning. Would Lock Tight help keep it from coming loose?......Justin

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's a threaded headset. Before getting a new headset, I would make sure that you are tightening it properly. You need two wrenches to tighten the locknut against the adjustable race. It is the locknut and adjustable race tension that keeps the headset from loosening.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

I took it to the LBS about 2 weeks ago and he tightened it for 5 bucks and said if it comes loose again to bring it in and he would throw some Lock Tight on it. I've rode 80 miles since then and it's loose again. BTW thanks for letting me know what I have as far as headset goes. Everyone here is such great help!.....Justin

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
mtnbikenc1979 said:
I took it to the LBS about 2 weeks ago and he tightened it for 5 bucks and said if it comes loose again to bring it in and he would throw some Lock Tight on it. I've rode 80 miles since then and it's loose again. BTW thanks for letting me know what I have as far as headset goes. Everyone here is such great help!.....Justin
Shouldn't need Loctite if it's been adjusted/tightened properly. And for the money it's pretty much impossible to do better than an Ultegra headset--basically the same as the DA headset but with a steel crown race.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Headset

You might want to consider having your old headset re-built. A good shop should be able to overhaul it for around $20. Might solve your problem w/o replacing anything. A King headset will run you $100+ plus installation.

King headsets are good. People swear by them. I've always thought they were a bit over-rated. I find it hard to get excited over a headset. Kinda like a seat post. If it holds the seat in place and doesn't way a ton, it's fine.

If you find you need a new HS, I'd suggest a Shimano 105 or Ultegra. Cheap. Very durable. Easy to maintain. When I rode threaded HS, Ultegras were all I used. I'd easily get 10k miles out of one, and they sold for $35-40.

For what it's worth, during my shop rat days in the 90s, I saw several Kings go bad -- A few cracked cups, a few bad bearings. Sure they could be fixed, but by the time you pay for parts to fix a King, you've bought a new Ultegra.

best of luck
Jason

mtnbikenc1979 said:
I need to buy a new headset as the one in the photo is always getting loose on me after every 80 miles or so. Is Chris King a good choice? I want something thats gonna last and not raddle when I ride over bumps. Any suggs? Thanks....Justin :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll call the LBS tomorrow and get a price on an Ultegra headset. Thanks for all the help......Justin :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I personally would find a new shop...

mtnbikenc1979 said:
Why?

1 - I don't think a quality shop or mechanic would/should charge $5 for such a basic adjustment...

2 - And not really even fix it (I wonder if the wrench even knows to tighten the locknut against the nut beneath it)

3 - I don't think a quality shop or mechanic would/should recommend using lock tight on a friggin' headset (sounds like a hack to me)

To answer the question, a King headset is a great investment if you've got the coin.
Otherwise, as mentioned here, there are numerous threaded 1" headsets to be had on the cheap (since they are becoming somewhat obsolete) and if maintained and adjusted properly, should last for years.
That said, I'm partial to Chris King headsets.
If you plan on buying the headset from that shop make sure they know it is a 1" threaded headset and to be aware of the "stack height" to ensure you have enough thread on the fork to install the new headset (whatever brand it might be).
Conversely, you, or the shop, might need to trim the fork or add spacers but that's not out of the ordinary.

Hope this helps.
Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.