Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully this is in the correct forum. Haven't kept up with the latest in offerings both CX and gravel grinder.

Just purchased a new home and it's located in a great area for mtb, road and cx. I don't race CX and my road bike (Scott Addict 15 di2) won't cut it on the tame singletrack and fireroads. Minimal gravel roads but lots of elevation on two-track and ridgeline.

I'd rather not spend the money on di2. The cash would go toward great tubeless wheels. I'm cool with 105, Rival or mechanical Ultegra level. And a carbon frame. And hydraulic discs would be nice.

I also plan to sell the Scott and use whatever you guys and gals lead me to as a road bike with a change of wheels or tires. So the traditional high bb/short TT isn't what I'd like. Maybe something with so-called North American geometry with lower bb.

I have no brand favorites and my friend can get me Salsa or Surly at dealer cost, but I've never seen nor tested on, and as stated earlier I'm not up to date with the current offerings and maybe the Warbird 105 or Rival isn't worth the price even at 35% off. The new Trek with front and rear "suspension" looks great but I think it's outta my price range and I'd rather have the option for 40c-ish tires. Having said all that, are there any standout current models that would fit my requirements and is a great deal: carbon, mechanical drivetrain, good for 50/50 pavement and tame dirt, hydro brakes.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
If Surly / Salsa is available @ cost, get the Warbird. Get the alloy bike. Carbon's advantages aren't as noticeable with 32-38c tires.

If he's getting you a deal through QBP, check out Foundry too.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Pretty much everyone offers just what you're looking for now. To many options to even get into it really. I know this isn't helpful but it boils down to getting the frame that fits and for the great deal part that is about looking for sales or getting discounts from a shop. Some are better deals than others at full retail but virtually no one pays full retail for a bike.

A bit off topic but I'd budget for, or save for in the future, having two sets of wheels. You'll probably still end up doing some pavement only rides and changing out tires and a cassette* every time is a bit of a pain so two sets of wheels is a nice luxury to have.
*if the trails are at all hilly and/or soft or lose surface you'll almost certainly want gearing different from what you use on the road.

I did exactly what you're looking to do except I didn't sell my road bike and I got canti brakes. It worked out great. I knew with bigger tire capacity it would work out well for trails and gravel roads but what surprised me a little is that with a tire and cassette switch I really don't lose a thing on the road as compared to my full on racing road bike.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Never thought about the alloy/larger tire option.
There is a $500 difference between the carbon Rival (hydro brakes) versus alloy 105 (bb7 mechanicals, ugh). But as Jay Strongbow mentioned, that $500 could go toward an extra wheelset/rotors/tires.
Thanks to all for the input!

If Surly / Salsa is available @ cost, get the Warbird. Get the alloy bike. Carbon's advantages aren't as noticeable with 32-38c tires.

If he's getting you a deal through QBP, check out Foundry too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts