Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So barring any unfortunately aimed asteroids, it looks like my husband and I will officially be homeowners as of 31 March. So right now we are trying to get everything in order with insurance and what not. What insurance do you guys have and how do you get it to cover bikes, even when bikes are not in the house? I'd even kinda like to see if we can get it to cover our camping equipment, cause we've got a ton of it and its expensive. Any advice you can offer would be helpful. We're both a little stressed over here and it would be nice to hear advice from someone who isn't trying to sell us something. Thanks in advance and I'll be sure to let everyone know when the housewarming party is!

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
HokieRider said:
So right now we are trying to get everything in order with insurance and what not. What insurance do you guys have and how do you get it to cover bikes, even when bikes are not in the house? I'd even kinda like to see if we can get it to cover our camping equipment, cause we've got a ton of it and its expensive.

Most homeowner ins should cover everything you own less your deductible, just make sure your policy accurately reflects the value of all your shizzle. Photo/video everything you own, put somewhere other than house just in case.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Congratulations on the house.

I would second what Svend suggested, also make it a point to talk to your insurance about this and check with a number of different companies.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Not much to write Hokie, since insurance is probably different here in Sweden than in PA. Congratulations and just have fun with the new house. Take the time to do things right the first time instead of incurring unnecessary costs later on. Post some pics later too.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
okay, not to hijack the thread, but shite, talk about doing things right the first time, I have spent the last 5 days messing with the feed pipes for my upstairs bathroom. Friggin impossible to get the darn things dry enought to glue. Have had the water off for days and still no luck.

Again, sorry to hijack the thread, just needed to rant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, and congrats!

My wife and I bought a house just over a year ago, and although we're in Canada, many of the insurance companies we have available are based in the states, and would provide similar coverage I assume.

With the policy we have, bikes up to $1500 dollars are insured. To insure a bike of a greater value, it needs to be registered with the insurance company BEFORE it is stolen, and a small premium is paid. For us, this also applies if the bike is stolen outside of the house.

Just make sure to ask the company you choose, as it may require something similar. Also, as stated by another, make sure to photo/video everything! Include tool bench etc, lay out camping equipment... a really good reason for this is that not just that the insurance company has proof, but if you need to make a big claim at some point, you will remember what was there!

·
Registered
32 Posts
lousylegs said:
okay, not to hijack the thread, but shite, talk about doing things right the first time, I have spent the last 5 days messing with the feed pipes for my upstairs bathroom. Friggin impossible to get the darn things dry enought to glue. Have had the water off for days and still no luck.

Again, sorry to hijack the thread, just needed to rant.

Not to continue the hijack....

But use an alcohol based primer first before you glue! Available at your local blah blah.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel your pain lousylegs. We do all our own housework on every property in the family, including the two cottages at the lake about 2 hours away, which is actually where we do the most work lately. When removing a two story, 4ft by 3 ft fireplace, you have to know exactly what you are doing so the roof doesn't fall in around you. Believe it or not, the 123 home repair book from Home Despot is actually pretty good. This weekend we're finishing rewiring the new kitchen area and putting new drywall and recessed lighting in the old kitchen area. Fun times.

Wayne, the pics of this place might burn your retinas. The people who live there now are kinda artsy, so they painted the place in BOLD colors that totally don't match one another. So the living room (which is the first room you walk into) is bright orange, and the kitchen/dining room (the only other thing on that floor) is a bright lime green. I actually couldn't get the shutter speed and stuff to work out on my camera to take pics of a few of the rooms because they were too bright. If you're really a glutton for punishment, let me know and I'll try to post some pics, but you've been warned.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
I'll get my tinted ski goggles ;). Actually, just post some pics of the finished product. I must say, you guys are ambitious. We're not very much into renovations, and doing what you are doing would take a major effort on our part.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
VictoriaJujitsu said:
Not to continue the hijack....

But use an alcohol based primer first before you glue! Available at your local blah blah.
Thanks, yes, I have been using it, but it still does not glue unless it is completely dry. I used the old bread trick and it seemed to work.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well wayne, I hope you're patient, because if you want to wait for the finished product you'll be waiting a while. We're gonna be pretty broke once the purchase goes through, so we're gonna have to work through the place little by little. Luckily its really just painting that needs to be done. It needs a new hot water heater, but we're trying to get the current owners to pay us for that, since we can do it ourselves. Aside from that, its gonna need a new heat pump system soon, but that can wait a little while. Some other minor things need done, but its really just painting. Brand new wood laminate floors throughout and new carpeting in the bedrooms means none of that needs working on. We're gonna try to do a few rooms in April, since we can still be in our apt then, so we don't have to live with the fumes. Should work out ok. Sorry for rambling here.....

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
HokieRider said:
So barring any unfortunately aimed asteroids, it looks like my husband and I will officially be homeowners as of 31 March. So right now we are trying to get everything in order with insurance and what not. What insurance do you guys have and how do you get it to cover bikes, even when bikes are not in the house? I'd even kinda like to see if we can get it to cover our camping equipment, cause we've got a ton of it and its expensive. Any advice you can offer would be helpful. We're both a little stressed over here and it would be nice to hear advice from someone who isn't trying to sell us something. Thanks in advance and I'll be sure to let everyone know when the housewarming party is!
I used State Farm when I lived in PA and I still use them in MD. Riders, riders, riders. Tell the agent up front what you want covered. Take pictures of everything.

One thing I added was a PLUP (personal liability umbrella policy). It's only about $100/year and gives you an extra $1M in coverage for all kinds of things. Since I have a pool I wanted that extra.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Congratulations, it's a different world when you own.

Insurance? Our household policy covered my stolen mid-80's DeRosa taken out of our secluded driveway one night. USAA. They covered the theft, and paid us full replacement value, less the $1000 deductible. A check for over $4500 covered costs of a new leather sofa and a HD LCD. Already had a replacement ride.

We didn't have a separate rider for the bikes. Some items like expensive cameras and jewelery do, but bikes typically don't need a rider. Check your policy details to confirm.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
HokieRider said:
Well wayne, I hope you're patient, because if you want to wait for the finished product you'll be waiting a while. We're gonna be pretty broke once the purchase goes through, so we're gonna have to work through the place little by little. Luckily its really just painting that needs to be done. It needs a new hot water heater, but we're trying to get the current owners to pay us for that, since we can do it ourselves. Aside from that, its gonna need a new heat pump system soon, but that can wait a little while. Some other minor things need done, but its really just painting. Brand new wood laminate floors throughout and new carpeting in the bedrooms means none of that needs working on. We're gonna try to do a few rooms in April, since we can still be in our apt then, so we don't have to live with the fumes. Should work out ok. Sorry for rambling here.....
When Anneli and I purchased our house, we bought it knowing that we would have very little to work on it. In the end, we wallpapered the entire house, changed the downstairs floors to a new wood floor, and fixed up some of the rooms. It was pretty quick and painless, thankfully. We really wanted to save time and money for other stuff, and not be stuck every weekend working on a lifelong project, if you know what I mean.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Congratulations

wait until you go to settlement and see the first line of the Mortgage, where it says...."Last payment due March, 2036." Firsthouse I had, it stopped me dead....:D

As to Insurance. Most homeowners will cover theft....up to a point. Since between My wife & I we have over $25,000 worth of bikes (At replacement value), we worked with our Insurance agent to attach a rider for our bikes. It costs very little (we have a $500 dedutible BTW, $1,000 on the bikes) and it guarantees replacement value on theft or damage. To us it's worth the peace of mind. YMMV

Len

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Must be quite a rock!

mohair_chair said:
Don't know much about insurance, except that we had to buy a special policy for my wife's wedding ring. I imagine you will probably need to add riders to your homeowners insurance, which costs extra.

[/url]
If you have anything that is really valuable, tell your agent about it. Some policies will cover all kinds of things without special riders. Other policies don't cover too much other than the house and mundane contents unless you have special riders.

We had a fairly significant house robbery about 10 years ago. Most of the valuables taken were on a special rider and the insurance company paid for them immediately. We had to haggle about some other valuables that were not listed and ultimately settled for less than they were worth. Two lessons I learned from the experience: (1) list everything; (2) keep your valuables in a safe deposit box when you are not using them (among the things we lost were my favorite pair of cufflinks for which I had a great sentimental attachment). Of course, it's hard to find a safe deposit bike large enough to store your bikes. Fortunately my wife's engagement ring was on her finger and not at home at the time of the robbery.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Len J said:
wait until you go to settlement and see the first line of the Mortgage, where it says...."Last payment due March, 2036." Firsthouse I had, it stopped me dead....:D
Yeah we just got our mortgage papers the other day. If we were to actually keep this house for the full 30 years, we will have paid them over $800,000 for the house! How crazy is that! Thank god we're just going to sell it in 4 or 5 years.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Hooray!

Congratulations. Sounds like you'll really enjoy it.
Lots of good advice here. Still, you'll see the right way to do things when you sit down with an agent. Just make sure they'll cover everything you want covered, and if they don't, keep on shopping. If the agent gives you a bad vibe, keep on shopping. You'll find one that'll take care of you.

B\

1 - 20 of 24 Posts