Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a new front hub which I intend to lace up to an existing wheel. DT spoke calc says the new spokes need to be 2mm longer than with the old hub. Since it is now built with 12mm nipples, can I just get some new 14mm nipples to make up the 2mm difference?

If it matters, the spokes are Wheelsmith XL14's and the new wheel will be built up in the same 28H, 2X lacing as the old one ...

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Longer nipples sill have the threads in the same place. The only part that is longer is the wrench flats. This will not solve your problem. You need longer spokes.

-Eric

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
JBF said:
I just received a new front hub which I intend to lace up to an existing wheel. DT spoke calc says the new spokes need to be 2mm longer than with the old hub. Since it is now built with 12mm nipples, can I just get some new 14mm nipples to make up the 2mm difference?

If it matters, the spokes are Wheelsmith XL14's and the new wheel will be built up in the same 28H, 2X lacing as the old one ...
Is it the same make/model hub? - TF

·
Registered
675 Posts
You could do a 1x lacing pattern

JBF said:
No, different make/model

IIRC, that should require spokes ~2mm shorter and thus work with the spokes you have. Run the calculation with 1x and see what you get. Radial might be an option as well.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I will be building my first wheel soon and would love some real world opinions of what are the pros and cons of different lacing.

I have 28H, 32H, and 36H rims that I will eventually build up.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Unless they were short on the old wheels, I would use them. - TF
Could you please elaborate? Not all hubs have the same dimensions. The calculator says that the new hub would require shorter spokes by 2mm. Why would he just go ahead and build the wheels anyway?

-Eric

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
ergott said:
Could you please elaborate? Not all hubs have the same dimensions. The calculator says that the new hub would require shorter spokes by 2mm. Why would he just go ahead and build the wheels anyway?

-Eric
The OP said that the new ones require longer spokes. If it was shorter, I would reuse them for sure.

Nipple has about 8mm of thread. Old spokes were probably even with or above the top of the nipple. This leaves about 6mm or about 12 threads. My Mech Egr friends tell me that, on a threaded fastener, only the first 3 are under load. The other 9 for safety would be plenty. So, like I said,"Unless they were short on the old wheels, I would use them."

TF

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If thats the case, I'll give it a try ...

I will pull off the tire/tube/rim strip and take a look to make sure they are not already short

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
The OP said that the new ones require longer spokes. If it was shorter, I would reuse them for sure.

Nipple has about 8mm of thread. Old spokes were probably even with or above the top of the nipple. This leaves about 6mm or about 12 threads. My Mech Egr friends tell me that, on a threaded fastener, only the first 3 are under load. The other 9 for safety would be plenty. So, like I said,"Unless they were short on the old wheels, I would use them."

TF
Reread the OP. He needs spokes that are 2mm longer. If you use shorter spokes that the one required (2mm is a lot) then you run the risk of the heads of the nipples popping. The threaded area under the nipple head has very little material and the spoke needs to engage the threads that are in the head where there is significantly more material. 2mm will require him to get different spokes.

-Eric

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
ergott said:
Reread the OP. He needs spokes that are 2mm longer. If you use shorter spokes that the one required (2mm is a lot) then you run the risk of the heads of the nipples popping. The threaded area under the nipple head has very little material and the spoke needs to engage the threads that are in the head where there is significantly more material. 2mm will require him to get different spokes.

-Eric
"Reread the OP. He needs spokes that are 2mm longer." What? That's what I said. You said shorter.

"...you run the risk of the heads of the nipples popping." You have seen this with a modern quality brand nipple??

TF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts