Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently found this site, and thought I would write an intro. This past fall, I returned to cycling after a break of some 24 years. I must say things have changed quite a bit, both in tech and in my capabilities :D.

After looking at a few bikes, I decided that for running around the varying roads and trails where I live, the Fuji 1.5 cross seemed to be a good over all machine. I'm still getting back into riding shape (the winter months make it harder), but I am looking forward to the spring, when I can hopefully start going for some decent miles.

In the meantime, I am reading up on tech, fitness, and trying to put together the rest of my kit.

Thanks for reading,

RSD

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hello all,

I recently found this site, and thought I would write an intro. This past fall, I returned to cycling after a break of some 24 years. I must say things have changed quite a bit, both in tech and in my capabilities :D.

After looking at a few bikes, I decided that for running around the varying roads and trails where I live, the Fuji 1.5 cross seemed to be a good over all machine. I'm still getting back into riding shape (the winter months make it harder), but I am looking forward to the spring, when I can hopefully start going for some decent miles.

In the meantime, I am reading up on tech, fitness, and trying to put together the rest of my kit.

Thanks for reading,

RSD
RSD,

Where in NH? I'm in MA just south of the border.

Welcome to cycling in all it's addictive glory!

EEC

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Welcome aboard! I love riding in the warmer months on the road, but I decided this year to ride outside through the winter. In the snow...

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame
I still use the trainer during the week but it's harder and harder when I can go ride outside in the snow and sand. I was descending on show/ice last Saturday... My bike handling is definitely improving! And it could use it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

With the warm weather, I've been tempted to head out. I went to the LBS to check out mud guards, but decided to wait and do more research.

ExChef,

I'm in Farmington, which is just a few miles South of Alton Bay (Southern end of the Lakes Region).

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Welcome to the forum !,

A thought about getting good uses out of the cross bike and if you find yourself going back and forth with pavement rides, then gravel rides, is a 2nd set of wheels that allows you to run narrow 25 or 28mm slicks for pavement, then an easy swap to the 2nd set of wheels with gravel tires. A cross bike on skinnier tires is about as good as having a 2nd bike dedicated to the road. Food for thought down the road.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Farmington and SouthEast of it is the only part of NH I haven't done much riding in but speaking for NH in general gearing is a very important consideration. The bike you're looking at has a 46/36 up front. Which is kind of weird for road use. You'd definitely want a bigger big ring if you like to use gravity going down hill to go fast. And chances are pretty good you're appreciate a 34 instead of a 36 if you venture into the hills. Don't worry about gears in the back that come with a bike so much because you can change them pretty cheap and easy.

A cross bike is a great choice as long as it handles and fits well. Some cross bikes are designed for super fast handling for tight cross courses while others are more designed to function as an all-round bike and are more stable. Pretty much self explanatory which would be better for a new rider.

Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I checked current gearing specs for that bike: 46/36 Front; 11-28 11speed cassette. 46/11 will give you plenty at the high end and the 46 will enable you to stay in the big ring a lot longer as you go to easier cogs on the back before you need to shift to small chain ring up front. 36/28 will be decent to get you up most hills but, if not, change to an 11/32 (but you might have to change rear derailleur to do that). I grew up in Wolfeboro and rode one way there from Dover a couple of years ago, through Farmington and then Middleton Rd to S. Wolfeboro- nice ride. One of my bikes is 46/34 with 13/26 in back and the other is 50/36 so I'm familiar with the chainrings you're using. Ride it and enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the replies. A second set of wheels sounds like a viable option when the time comes. I figure I will ride this one for the season, and see where I need to be from there.

I have only done about 10 miles on it, so it is hard to tell how the gearing will be for me overall, but it seems nice. My last bike was a 1984 Schwinn Le Tour, so things have advanced quite a bit since then.

Thanks again,

RSD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.