Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the sliding qwerty keyboard is true, go by BB Bold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AT&T: New iPhone will be hot, son

Posted by The Boy Genius on Mar 23, 2009 12:45 pm
We can’t tell you where or who, but pretty high up in AT&T’s food chain, the following was reported to be said:
  • New iPhone announcement around mid-June (duh)
  • New iPhone will be faster and have a more seamless experience unmatched by any device (could be just talking about 3.0, but we think it’s also a new iPhone)
  • U-Verse iPhone application; will allow control of your home DVR (play, pause, rewind, etc.)
  • The annual iPhone launch is “becoming a tradition.”
  • Nothing official is being confirmed, but they said that people should prep for an exciting time this summer.
  • AT&T is said to be working with Apple to create a unified product with an unparalleled experience across all their products and services.
  • Apple’s 3.0 software should tell us where the iPhone platform is going… uh, k?
  • They said customers shouldn’t need to choose from AT&T’s high-end devices because of features, they should choose based on preferences. The gap in capability should be filled with the new iPhone. Ok, bets on slide out QWERTY, autofocus camera, video sharing, blah blah?
  • Seems like the higher speed HSDPA (7.2Mbps) is being hinted at too which should confirm the earlier rumors of the new Infineon chipset.
  • The $99 3G netbook will start selling this summer, and the first one won’t be a Windows OS.
For clarification, the above is 100% confirmed.
Thanks, Stephanie!

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Yet it still won't be able to play flash programming. Didn't anyone notice the ads when the first phone came out? It showed the phone, and said something like "and this is the internet, not some cut-back mobile version, but the real internet".
Isn't an extremely large portion of the "real" internet (is the internet real?) is flash based these days. Apple just won't admit defeat in the flash vs. quicktime battle. I smell a class-action suit here.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Flash

Peanya said:
Yet it still won't be able to play flash programming. Didn't anyone notice the ads when the first phone came out? It showed the phone, and said something like "and this is the internet, not some cut-back mobile version, but the real internet".
Isn't an extremely large portion of the "real" internet (is the internet real?) is flash based these days. Apple just won't admit defeat in the flash vs. quicktime battle. I smell a class-action suit here.
It's frustrating to me with my iPhone -- as more and more web-developers make more companies' websites flash-only, it's a crippling disadvantage for the iPhone not to have it...

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Argentius said:
It's frustrating to me with my iPhone -- as more and more web-developers make more companies' websites flash-only, it's a crippling disadvantage for the iPhone not to have it...
Or crippling stupidity to build your whole site in such an accessibility unfriendly format. Visually handicapped people and other people with access issues generally find Flash sites to be a fricking nightmare, and most people's degradation strategies are...umm...nonexistent. If you don't have Flash installed, you're just fsked.

So I look at a site that I can't access on my iPhone as a sign that they don't want my business.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
"The following was reported to be said"..."pretty high up in the food chain"..."100% confirmed".....just like I knew this guy who's brother's best friend woke up in a bathtub full of ice and his kidney was gone!!!!

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Or crippling stupidity to build your whole site in such an accessibility unfriendly format. Visually handicapped people and other people with access issues generally find Flash sites to be a fricking nightmare, and most people's degradation strategies are...umm...nonexistent. If you don't have Flash installed, you're just fsked.

So I look at a site that I can't access on my iPhone as a sign that they don't want my business.
Agreed. Besides, most flash-based sites are content-free zones. Even when it does exist, it's buried behind inane junk that someone thought looked cool. Many are teh sux to navigate with a touchpad, and since the entire world is laptop based...

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Flash sites are an annoying pain in the ass, even for non-crippled users. I don't need animated menus and screen transitions. I just need content (as well as the use of basic web features, like the f-ing Back button).

Btw, am I understanding this correctly about the iPhone having a sliding keyboard? Srsly? What is this, 2004?

·
xploshin
530 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Flash sites are an annoying pain in the ass, even for non-crippled users. I don't need animated menus and screen transitions. I just need content (as well as the use of basic web features, like the f-ing Back button).

Btw, am I understanding this correctly about the iPhone having a sliding keyboard? Srsly? What is this, 2004?
Those are just the editors comments on the article, I don't think we'll ever see that.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
no sh!t. most these sites just make me close the browser out of annoyance. if you're going to have a website, make it useful. giro is the only one i can think of that i'll actually deal with it.

although i'd like to see an app to be able to watch hulu.com.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Flash can be good and bad. NFL.com is a good example - doesn't take long to load, and updates on the fly. A perfect bad example is houston's toyota dealer sites - takes forever to load up for worthless content that some idiot thought would look cool. Was trying to find out the location for my ms150 packet pickup but gave up and goodled it faster.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I hate flash websites! Bottom line, it makes it hard to get where you want to go with any semblance of ease. When I was at CES in January we were shown some accessories for the iPhone Nano. That is the closest thing to big news I saw for the iPhone. I can only hope that 3.0 has cut and paste and MMS built in.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
rward325 said:
That is the closest thing to big news I saw for the iPhone. I can only hope that 3.0 has cut and paste and MMS built in.
hollywood had a link that showed all the new features. copy and paste was one for sure. check thread h'wood started within the past 2 weeks in the lounge.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
bikeboy389 said:

I'd sooner look at it that Apple's iPhone R&D department is retarded, and people shouldn't buy and support intentionally crippled hardware/software. But that is me.

The blame lies with Apple here. Flash exists out there for every platform in useable form now--it is just Apple that doesn't want to live in reality.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
I guess none of you fools ever goes to www.topiphonenews.com. They had a story about 3 (+) weeks ago that both Apple and Adobe confirmed they are (have been) working on a solution to the lack of flash for iphone. Sooo once flash comes to the iphone ( i m predicting it ll be bundled in 3.0) what will people have to complain about then? I never saw the needed for cut paste, I dont miss it. MMS will be nice. I m more interested in seeing the speed of the phone increased.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Version 3.0 (software) is already supposed to be one huge upgrade but if there is gonna be a new phone altogether, well, I'm keen to see what it's about.

Of course, now my dad will probably want it and if he does, that means I'd pass him my current one. Actually, nahhh. I'm more than fine seeing out the contract for a little over a year that remains. Besides, a newer one would probably be out ext year anyway.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Also, the issue is NOT the fault of Apple Computer.

The SDK for iphone (software development toolkit) is in the hands of Adobe and has
been for some time.

But since I've found bugs in Flash myself (HD video won't play on certain computers
very well at all) I suspect optimizations to make it work on the phone is the big tech
challenge.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
Also, the issue is NOT the fault of Apple Computer.

The SDK for iphone (software development toolkit) is in the hands of Adobe and has
been for some time.

But since I've found bugs in Flash myself (HD video won't play on certain computers
very well at all) I suspect optimizations to make it work on the phone is the big tech
challenge.
It's about paying $$ to get Adobe to allow the use of flash etc all so they can earn more $$$ and well, it's all about $$$$.

Flash can screw up at times for sure - You need the latest version of Flash player. Yeah, I keep getting that same crap and it's frustrating honestly.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
If you want to get down to brass tacks I don't care about the latest and greatest phone. I care about reception where I want/need it. I care about dropped calls. I care about reasonable phone bills. I care about making phone calls. I might care about receiving and sending emails. I really don't care about being connected to the interweb 24/7. In fact I enjoy the break. I think from time to time it would be cool to have a smart phone but then I slap myself and my thinking gets reset. Call me a luddite but I'm perfectly happy with a flip phone with good reception.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.