Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would have thought that you'd be better off cycling in New Jersey in February than in southern California? OK, maybe its not utopia but 65 and bright sun all weekend is pretty darn nice. My snowblower has become a hanger for my cycling clothes

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Who would have thought that you'd be better off cycling in New Jersey in February than in southern California? OK, maybe its not utopia but 65 and bright sun all weekend is pretty darn nice. My snowblower has become a hanger for my cycling clothes
Hey! New Jersey is crowded enough as it is. Don't tell everybody how great the cycling is here.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Somewhere deep in an NJ basement Pittcana is still furiously zwiftkckring. I hope. We haven't heard from him in a while.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Great ride today! Normally stranded on the trainer or riding trails in the snow... loving my ride today!

PS Pitt is in Pa.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
60 degrees here today in Indianapolis. Spent 60 minutes on the mountain bike with my college age kids this morning, then 90 minutes on the road bike later in the day. Little bit of overcast clouds, but otherwise a great day for February in Indy. Normally it's 30 degrees, wet, and yucky.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It was nice enough to get me on 9W for the first time since 2014. Set 4 PRs in February. Hope everyone else had a good day.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
It was nice enough to get me on 9W for the first time since 2014. Set 4 PRs in February. Hope everyone else had a good day.
Haha! Nice! February specific PRs? I rode 20 miles at some awful pace today and it's a Feb PR... never thought of it that way but I like it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
PR, period. Never thought I'd be faster in February than August. On one segment I'm now ranked 340 out of a little over 12k. I'd usually be closer to 3400.
The one thing that was February-like was the wind.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
PR, period. Never thought I'd be faster in February than August. On one segment I'm now ranked 340 out of a little over 12k. I'd usually be closer to 3400.
The one thing that was February-like was the wind.
Oh!! No kidding, NICE! I thought you were talking Feb specific and joking.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Same thing in Chicagoland. It started last Friday and will last until this Thursday...........Besides that, it hasn't snowed since mid December. Yesterday, I was out with bare arms and bare legs.....and no base layer.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Southern Jersey? Meh. Any part of Jersey is hardly what I'd call a cycling utopia, even in optimal conditions. There are pockets of semi-interesting, but paradise is ain't.

Granted, any road riding is better than sitting and grinding out the hours on the trainer, even if it's pan-flat.

I have a branch of the family up that way, so I've spent some time in the area. I've met some nice people during my visits to Jersey, even if they talked funny. Great deli. Some of the most entertaining weddings I've ever been to.

Fantastic riding? Not so much.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Southern Jersey? Meh. Any part of Jersey is hardly what I'd call a cycling utopia, even in optimal conditions. There are pockets of semi-interesting, but paradise is ain't.

Granted, any road riding is better than sitting and grinding out the hours on the trainer, even if it's pan-flat.

I have a branch of the family up that way, so I've spent some time in the area. I've met some nice people during my visits to Jersey, even if they talked funny. Great deli. Some of the most entertaining weddings I've ever been to.

We have some pretty decent climbing in the north west, not Rockies, but New England... we have pan flat in the southern/middle of the state and we have miles of beach-side riding. Long rides through the pine barrens treat you to one of the most unique ecosystems on earth. We have all kinds of racing plus access to some pretty cool higher level stuff like the Tour of Somerville or Philly Tour. I'm able to get decent climbing or pan flat right out my driveway depending on which way I go. People come from far away to mtb by me also. Incredible trails locally with tons of climbing. Beach riding, snow biking... 4 seasons. Pretty nice.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

You do realize that the title was tongue-in-cheek, right?

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts

If you haven't experienced good riding in NJ, you've not been riding with the right people. We've got some GREAT roads.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
Somewhere deep in an NJ basement Pittcana is still furiously zwiftkckring. I hope. We haven't heard from him in a while.
hahaha... he lives in PA, so I doubt he's zwifting away in a basement in NJ.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Shoveled 3" of snow off my driveway yesterday, 50°F and dry roads today. Strong tailwind going out, riding 28 MPH+ out, 14 MPH home, 34 miles total. Felt like a pro riding 28 MPG on the flats. expecting scattered snow showers next few days. Thursday, Friday and Saturday look like good days to ride, but temps will be in the 30°s

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
If you haven't experienced good riding in NJ, you've not been riding with the right people. We've got some GREAT roads.
I've had some decent rides in NJ, but not any I would call great. I generally try to get in with a local group wherever I go, or at the very least try to see where the hot spots are online. I can honestly say riding in New Jersey has never given me a "holy crap that was awesome" ride. In all fairness, few places in this country have.

Everyone is different in what they consider good, and most places have a stash or two that they consider special.

Any road riding this time of year is out of the ordinary for me and that makes it special and better.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.