Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has been offered a 7000 dollar a month raise .But is happy where she is at.would you take it or stay where your at and happy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ralfho said:
My wife has been offered a 7000 dollar a month raise .But is happy where she is at.would you take it or stay where your at and happy.
I guess that would depend on what the job is and what it would entail, but can I volunteer for the raise part? :D

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
ralfho said:
Your wife is getting an $84,000 raise? In what business do you get that kind of raise?

·
In-House Counsel
579 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Your wife is getting an $84,000 raise? In what business do you get that kind of raise?
Going from associate to partner in a professional firm (i.e. law firm).

And wouldn't this be better suited in The Lounge?

Or is the result of her decision going to decide a new bike for you?

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
CaseLawZ28 said:
Going from associate to partner in a professional firm (i.e. law firm).

And wouldn't this be better suited in The Lounge?

Or is the result of her decision going to decide a new bike for you?

dear god
my dad's a teacher, mom's a academic pro, together they make $90 grand...
hahaha wow
i guess that explains my trek :p

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
ralfho said:
You must be a kept man... or a troll... or both? ;)

For my sake, I hope you live in the most expensive city in the world.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Does your wife have any friends that are single and make as much money?

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
ralfho said:
Never trade happiness for money. If she'll truly enjoy the new job then it's easy but take money out of the equation is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
ralfho said:
Never underestimate the value of serenity. If she enjoys what she does, if you make enough money to pay the bills, and if you are comfortable with what you have, then you have more already than do most people. Too often, we marry our feelings of self worth to what we make or what position we hold. These are objective bench marks that we can use to measure ourselves against the rest of society; in other words, they feed our egos.

But ego is a dangerous thing. It's great to feel good about yourself, but it is problematic to base your feelings of self worth on how you imagine others perceiving you. I learned this lesson the hard way. I used to make a hell of a lot more money than I do now, but I am happier now than I was then. I used to think 'I had it going on.' I made a lot of money, I had all the toys, I was travelling all over the country (and the world) on other persons' dimes, I didn't worry about bills. I also was never home, my marriage sucked, my kids never saw me, and (while I didn't realize it at the time) I hated myself. No surprise that I was drinking more every day than most people probably do in two weeks.

Nowadays, I make enough to cover my share of the bills, but my wife has to work too. She doesn't mind, because when I'm home, I am really there. We spend quality time together, which means I am alert and participating in conversations, instead of trying to scam a reason for my next drink. My kids know me, too. We play games together, I help them with homework, we go for walks, and we take trips together that are so wonderful I can't do them justice by description. Suffice it to say that staying with my little girls in a two star hotel kicks a$$ over staying by myself at the Savoy.

In short, I used to take pride in what I did for a living and how much I made. I now take pride in the fact that I am a fundamentally honest person, I am a great father, a decent (still working on great) husband, and I wake up in the morning with a clear head. Even though I f--k up from time to time, I think I am fundamentally a good person, and my wife and I are happier for it.

This reply is not meant to be some weird psychobabble. I just think it might be helpful to see it from the other side. There's nothing wrong with money so long as you keep it in perspective. If I could be as happy as I am now AND rich, I'd jump at it. But I haven't figured that out yet.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
chuckice said:
Never trade happiness for money. If she'll truly enjoy the new job then it's easy but take money out of the equation is my 2 cents.
Agree--if you've already got enough money to pay the bills and have fun then more isn't gonna make you happier. That said--there is a big difference when someone making 20k a year goes to 100k vs someone already making 100k goes to 180k.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I think it depends on your goals.

If the two of you are only working and making money so one day you can stop working and do as you please, and the sooner the better, then she should seriously consider it--that much extra money a year would go a heck of a long way in a retirement account.

If, on the other hand, her self-worth and self-satisfaction are strongly tied to the kind of work she does and how much she likes it and/or likes where she works, then opting for the money isn't a great choice.

I'm only working so I can retire one day, and I have been lucky in that I like what I do and where I work, but also make more money here than I would anywhere else.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
I'm only working so I can retire one day, and I have been lucky in that I like what I do and where I work, but also make more money here than I would anywhere else.
Same...not crazy about my job, but it pays well and allows me lots of paid vacation time and good benefits for my family. If I could afford to retire tomorrow I would though. I have plenty of pursuits that I'd love to do that don't bring in money (or cost money) unfortunately.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
grab the golden ring......

ralfho said:
you only go round once in life, so go for it and see what happens........make hay while the sun shines, and stash as much away for a rainy day as you can..........

now if you have to move to San Fran or Manhatten, where you will have a $7,000 mortgage payment, well then that doesn't make alot of sense.....unless its a networking thing..........

just make sure wherever you go, you can get good Shrimp & Grits

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
I'm assuming that a pay hike of that magnitude will directly correlate to many more hours in the office and more stress for her and in your relationship. Maybe not but if so you can bet that money will never offset that. Just keep in mind that you may already have the golden ring...

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
"You see this watch? That watch cost more than your car!"
"I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a s***. Good father? F*** you! Go home and play with your kids! You wanna work here, close! You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you c**********? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?"

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
ralfho said:
my ex got a 105% raise at a new job and left expecting a "long distance relationship" to which she was not whole-heartedly dedicated. :rolleyes:

money changes everything.

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
ralfho said:
There ain't no price for happiness... unhappiness is the price!

IMHO...

EDB

1 - 20 of 25 Posts