Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FastInMyMind
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is best explained as I live in Mayberry. My LBS in Mount Pilot is a very good shop with the owner serving as the manager/mechanic/janitor. He admittedly does not have great experience with Ksyrium wheels, and does not have a source for spokes. This came into play for me when I took my 6 month old wheel in to get be re-tensioned. One of the nipples broke while he was working on it - but it was nearly the right tension when it broke.

I rode the wheel for a few more weeks until I had a trip planned to Raleigh. In Raleigh, there is a shop that sells Mavic. I dropped of my wheel after I was told that they would be able to fix it during the afternoon that I would be in town - and that they had the correct spoke in stock.

Upon my return just before closing time, I paid my bill of $40 labor and $8 for the spoke. I was then shown that the spoke they used was actually 2 mm shorter than the other spokes. The nipples on the other spokes are all flush with the wheel. The new one is obviously not screwed in all the way. I was assured that this set up is just as strong as the others, and that the spoke is screwed in plenty far to be just as strong as the others.

I don't like this - Although I will say that this shop got this wheel as straight and true as I have ever seen a wheel. This wheel was not this round when it was new. But, I still do not like the short spoke. Anyone with knowledge want to weigh in and either let me know that all is well, or tell me that I am screwed? See blurry photo:

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
I very much doubt that this is ok or acceptable. The only way to know for sure would be to look at the top of the nipple. The end of the spoke MUST be up into the head of the nipple or there is a good chance that the head will snap off as all the stress will be located at the nipple's neck with no spoke inside it to provide strength.

$8 for a spoke? Ouch! OUCH! That's double what I thought they were. I wonder what makes them 10x more expensive than a normal $0.75 double butted spoke?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have seen many pairs of Ksyriums come from Mavic that way. The nipples have fairly long thread length compared to the threaded area of rim section that it is threading into so when the threads are flush there is a lot of thread inside the rim that is not being used anyway. I believe there is almost 3 times more thread on the nipple then there is in the rim but I don't have one to measure and I am just going on memory.

·
Registered
382 Posts
go to the mavic website and figure out the spoke you need. www.tech-mavic.com log: mavic-com D: dealer. I got three spokes from this guy for $16.72 thats counting shipping. [email protected] I was talking to a buddy yesterday and he was telling me he had a spoke break on his mavic. It was a 5 year old wheel. And he got the spoke replaced and wheel trued for $20. My understanding is a lot of bike shops don't like to carry spare mavic spokes because they have to buy in packages of 20 and they rarely see a kysrium with a broken spoke.

·
FastInMyMind
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update

I have ridden the wheel for about 400 miles now since taking the picture. It is still perfectly true and working fine.

Thanks for the info on spare spokes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.