Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Thought it was about time I contributed (long time lurker) so here's some pictures (hopefully) of my new Look 585, which I finished building a couple of days ago. Took it out for a short test ride yesterday and immediately loved it! Just hope the British weather stays good as this is definitely my nice weather no chance of rain bike!

Build details:

Look 585 size Small (51cm)
Dura-Ace 10sp group set
Look ergopost 2ti seatpost
Fizik Arione saddle
Deda 215 shallow bars
Stella Azzurra vice-versa stem
Stella Azzurra bar tape
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL wheels
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo KS tyres

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
Nice bike & a ?

How much drop do you have on that small frame?

My shop has a 57 in that new special burnt orange (God that color looks good) I keep looking at, but that Head tube is so short. I'd need over 2 cm of spacers to "only" have a 6 cm drop. I keep trying to talk myself into it because it rides great.

Sigh.....(do not buy a frame that you won't like the look of, do not buy a frame you won't like the look of)

BTW, I really like your setup.

Len

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yep, agree. Awesome frame/bike. Need to remove wheel stickers.

In general, the 585 has a pretty tall head tube. You may want to ask in the LOOK forum for someone to measure their 55 or 57.

I love that white color.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments folks. I made the decision to go with the Look frame after reading all the topics/posts about them on here, the clincher was seeing the pictures of Zippi's (campag equipped) white 585.

I like the decals on the wheels but would gladly swap them for a set of Lightweights:)

Len J said:
How much drop do you have on that small frame?

Len
I hope I don't sound stupid but do mean the amount of drop between the top of the saddle and the top of the handlebar? If so, it's about 11cm.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
JamesS said:
Thanks for the comments folks. I made the decision to go with the Look frame after reading all the topics/posts about them on here, the clincher was seeing the pictures of Zippi's (campag equipped) white 585.

I like the decals on the wheels but would gladly swap them for a set of Lightweights:)

I hope I don't sound stupid but do mean the amount of drop between the top of the saddle and the top of the handlebar? If so, it's about 11cm.
Yes that's what I mean....Yikes 11 CM.......I'd be a cripple....Of course I'm old.

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
rensho said:
Yep, agree. Awesome frame/bike. Need to remove wheel stickers.

In general, the 585 has a pretty tall head tube. You may want to ask in the LOOK forum for someone to measure their 55 or 57.

I love that white color.
HT for a 57 is 17.8........I have long Legs........it's not tall enough.

Len

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
JamesS said:
No way! Really? It looks like A LOT less than that. If you hold a nice long level, tip-to-tail across the saddle so that it's parallel to the ground, you measure 11 cm from the bottom of the level to the top (or center) of the bars?

Still, nice bike!

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
alienator said:
Mavic, however, is getting pretty damned obscene about decal placement.
Not everyone dislikes the decal look. I would consider the white 585 a 'stickery' frame, even though the logos are actually 'negative stickers', i.e. windows in the paint. Stickery frame with stickery wheels looks b!tchin' pro! JamesS - you need to put the 'CA' stickers on the top tube - I think it adds a touch of understated elegance.

Agreed, though - Lightweights would look even better on that bike:D

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
Easier, more accurate method.

SDizzle said:
No way! Really? It looks like A LOT less than that. If you hold a nice long level, tip-to-tail across the saddle so that it's parallel to the ground, you measure 11 cm from the bottom of the level to the top (or center) of the bars?

Still, nice bike!
On a flat level surface......measure from the floor to the top of the seat.......measure from the floor to the top of the bars........subtract one from the other and you have true bar drop.

Len

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SDizzle said:

Still, nice bike!
You're right, I re-measured and the drop is 8cm (top of saddle to floor 95cm, bar top to floor 87cm)

Bugman: I agree about the CA stickers, they will be added this evening

·
grasso e lento
139 Posts
What are your measurements?

James,

What is your inseam, height, arm lenght and overall reach? I fit either the small or the medium but I can't decide so if you don't mind giving up some numbers to help someone out....

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MWT said:
Great looking bike.

Why did you choose Crank Bros pedals?
They're from my other bike (Cervelo Soloist) which I use for my daily commute. Lots of stops at traffic lights so a double sided pedal makes things easier.

Dude: I'm somewhere around 5ft 8/9 but i'll get back to with some measurements.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
How do you measure up, Len? I don't have a lot of spacers on my 461 (same geo as the 585) and mine's a 57. I have 5cm on mine. Gotta check the drop. Haven't even measured it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.