Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading Zinn's preview in Velonews and going to the Trek
website, i surprised myself by saying, "Hey, cool - I gotta go see one"
and i'm not normally a Trek fan( i own a kestrel.)

lots of cool technology and seems like a great design.

too bad i'm in the market for a Tri bike... :-(

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
cwg_at_opc said:

I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not a TREK junkie, never owned one. That being said, TREK just put EVERYBODY back on their heels with this one. This is an actual leap forward in technology and will have other High end carbon makers scrambling to catch up. I especially like the two different frame styles, one with a longer headtube for those that can't bend into the Pro racer 10" saddle drop position.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not a TREK junkie, never owned one. That being said, TREK just put EVERYBODY back on their heels with this one. This is an actual leap forward in technology and will have other High end carbon makers scrambling to catch up. I especially like the two different frame styles, one with a longer headtube for those that can't bend into the Pro racer 10" saddle drop position.
Not really, it just means that they are an alternative for people who don't want freakishly short head tubes. It merely means they have normal frame geometry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice, but

I really like the new Madone from all the reviews I've seen on the web (I actually own a Orbea, it's probably the Orca in it) and the black and white and Lance grey makes the frame look really slimming.

But a new 90mm bottom bracket and 1 1/2 inch crown, whoa horse. So Trek are tying you in to another set of components, you can't change the BB to any old English or Italan model and the forks can't be swapped out for a.n.other manufacturer (there are enough people in the world still using 1" steerers). It's not I'm against change I just smell a new way of forcing people to have to buy yet more kit.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Next Week

One of our LBS is supposed to get one in next week. A few of us are going to make the trip ovwer one day during lunch to check it out.

I suspect that they are going to look really goods in person.

I have no plans of getting one but all indicators are that it is going to be a pretty big deal.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I saw one yesterday.......

it had a spoecialized label on it though...or was it Obrea, or willier? I can't remember.

Len

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Len J said:
I saw one yesterday.......

it had a spoecialized label on it though...or was it Obrea, or willier? I can't remember.

Len
Nice.:thumbsup:

I agree. Treks don't float my boat.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
trek

I believe they've adopted the cutting edge elements from other manufacturers and fused them to create this frame.
Correct me if I'm off base:

pressed in bearings, Cannondale
large dia bearings in headset's lower race Ridley
seatpost mast - Giant, Look
"swoopy" lines - Obea, Specialized
Massive downtube @ bb, Cannondale
elaborate carbon layup, - kestrel.

I believe that this will be an incredibly popular frame and a successful seller for Trek. And I'm sure it will probably ride " very stiff, but dampens just the right amount of road buzz, with lazor sharp handling, and climbs like a rocket" "Crit like handling, mountain goat with all day comfort". we'll all be reading it again soon.
Giving credit where it's due, it is a stunning frameset that they created.
A few minor observations: Who's gonna ride it in the Tour this year? Levi, Contador, Danielson, George??
If it's that great, then maybe Trek's ultimate ambassador will ride it professionally!! Lance in the 07 TdF?!?!?!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Don't kid yourself.....

jhamlin38 said:
I believe they've adopted the cutting edge elements from other manufacturers and fused them to create this frame.
Correct me if I'm off base:

pressed in bearings, Cannondale
large dia bearings in headset's lower race Ridley
seatpost mast - Giant, Look
"swoopy" lines - Obea, Specialized
Massive downtube @ bb, Cannondale
elaborate carbon layup, - kestrel.

I believe that this will be an incredibly popular frame and a successful seller for Trek. And I'm sure it will probably ride " very stiff, but dampens just the right amount of road buzz, with lazor sharp handling, and climbs like a rocket" "Crit like handling, mountain goat with all day comfort". we'll all be reading it again soon.
Giving credit where it's due, it is a stunning frameset that they created.
A few minor observations: Who's gonna ride it in the Tour this year? Levi, Contador, Danielson, George??
If it's that great, then maybe Trek's ultimate ambassador will ride it professionally!! Lance in the 07 TdF?!?!?!
the proprietary BB bearing design and headet design are done this way in order to increase the sale of proprietary parts by Trek.....most of what they claim is Marketing BS. Just what we all need, additional unnecessary standards.

I'm sure it will sell well because of the dealer network and I'm sure it will be a relativly nice riding bike. But don't contend that it's a breakthrough bike...that's a LOL.

Len

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
cwg_at_opc said:

Linky?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
Len J said:
the proprietary BB bearing design and headet design are done this way in order to increase the sale of proprietary parts by Trek.....most of what they claim is Marketing BS. Just what we all need, additional unnecessary standards.

I'm sure it will sell well because of the dealer network and I'm sure it will be a relativly nice riding bike. But don't contend that it's a breakthrough bike...that's a LOL.

Len
Coming from a windbag like you...especially one riding the most overpriced, overhyped, penis-extender frame like a Serotta Ottrott these comments are amusing.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
The.......

OnTheRivet said:
Coming from a windbag like you...especially one riding the most overpriced, overhyped, penis-extender frame like a Serotta Ottrott these comments are amusing.
ad-homenum attacks are very becoming.

And if you were paying attention, I paid less for my Ottrott than you probably paid for what you are riding....as to overhyped, since you probably have never spent any significant time on one, I'll take that opinion for what it is worth.

Once again, you prove your value to this forum.

Len

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
Len J said:
ad-homenum attacks are very becoming.

And if you were paying attention, I paid less for my Ottrott than you probably paid for what you are riding....as to overhyped, since you probably have never spent any significant time on one, I'll take that opinion for what it is worth.

Once again, you prove your value to this forum.

Len
I call 'em like I see 'em.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
just wondering, is there some sort of internet theorem demonstrating that no matter how innocuous a subject, a forum will disinegrate into flames after a maximum of something like 10 posts?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
I call 'em like I see 'em.
or see what you want to see.

Len

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
bas said:
So:

"red series carbon" ~ 55 oclv ???
" ?? " ~ 110 oclv ??
"black series" ~ 120 oclv ??
"white series" ~ ??? ocvl ??

http://www2.trekbikes.com/madone/technology/performance/#more

Performance Has a New Name

For 2008 you'll notice that the numeric designations are gone from the OCLV naming convention. Gone are OCLV 55, OCLV 110, and OCLV 120, and in their place are OCLV Red, OCLV Black, and OCLV White. Why the change? Two reasons: material clarification and process focus.
What is OCLV Carbon?

OCLV is the precise combination of heat, pressure, materials and experience that produces an infinitely long lasting, vibration damping, lightweight, internally strong composite that's ideal for bicycle construction.

As OCLV Carbon frame construction has become more and more sophisticated, carbon fiber material variety, lay-up schedules, and manufacturing processes have all likewise continued to increase in complexity. As a result, it's significantly more challenging to identify a specific frame as 55GSM, 110GSM, or 120GSM, because every frame is actually a hybrid of a variety of materials arranged according to sophisticated lay-up schedules. By changing the material hierarchy to Red, Black, and White, we can still rank frame materials and talk about a range of OCLV products, but it won't be necessary to rely on associations to specific carbon fiber materials or GSM numbers.

The proliferation of carbon fiber in today's bicycle market underscores the need for Trek to maintain leadership. By calling out specific materials (like 110GSM), second-tier frame manufacturers can attempt to equate their frame to ours by pointing out that they use the same material as Trek. This tactic allows them to shift the discussion away from process capability and material usage strategies, and focus the discussion on the materials themselves. But the same (or similar) ingredients don't equate to the same end product. With carbon fiber structures, process is critical.

And process, specifically our patented OCLV Carbon process, is where Trek's true advantage lies. By de-emphasizing specific materials and instead focusing the discussion on our OCLV Carbon process – a process we invented 16 years ago and have been refining ever since –Trek can leverage our manufacturing, engineering, and design expertise to underscore the unique nature of our carbon fiber frames: a difference we're confident makes for the best carbon fiber frames on the planet.

The OCLV Carbon Lineup

Trek offers three different OCLV Carbon frames, each designed to give riders the right balance of performance and value. All are handmade in the USA using our patented OCLV Carbon process.

OCLV Red

Trek's highest-performance carbon fiber, OCLV Red uses a significant percentage of high modulus carbon fiber arranged according to our most complex lay-up schedules.

OCLV Black

Trek's high-performance carbon fiber, OCLV Black employs intermediate modulus carbon fiber and our time-tested lay-up schedules.

OCLV White

Trek's value-oriented performance carbon fiber, OCLV White uses predominantly standard modulus carbon fiber for outstanding value.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Is not the Pro vs. the non-Pro models that feature a taller headtube exactly what Trek (and almost every other manufacturer is doing) was already doing in having the Madone and Pilot line? I ride Giant and Giant does the same exact thing in their carbon bikes by having a TCR racing line and an OCR comfort line.

As to the need for proprietary parts, could it actually be the opposite? Am I wrong but if I eliminate the bottom bracket cups and simply use a bearing into the shell, is not a specified bearing the same for any application? By way of example, I don't need to go to Giant to replace the bearings in my headset. I just need to by bearings that have the same specification (which is printed on the bearing itself).

People are complaining about proprietary parts but the bearings seem to be a move in the opposite direction. The move to 1.5" fork crowns is a move to get people to buy new product. There may be some minuscial advantages but the primary goal is to drive sales. Few years ago, everyone went to oversize bars claiming they are stiffer. I never noticed any difference between the two. Now try finding a 26mm bar in stock at your LBS.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts