Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Funny how many people think the elimination of outboard BB cups is a consipiracy to poach Shimano/Campy's business on their BBs. That's BS, people. Outboard bearing BB cups are a half-ass way to fit the old standard with new crank/bb designs. THe change to bigger/longer BB shell is inevitable. The design has been already used by several brands (Scott being the better known one but I saw a few others at interbike last yr). I bet Campy won't really worry about the $25 loss of their BB sales per frame.

As for "oh, I can't use it with 90's cranks any more", well, go get a 90s frame.

That said, I do think Trek merely copied the new design features of other major brands and the final product doesn't impress me much. Especially they couldn't make up their mind about the integrated seatpost.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Wake me up when it's over

innergel said:
yawn...

snore...

It looks nice and swoopy though.
I agree. I have never actually found a carbon bike that really floats my boat in appearance, and this Madone certainly does not do it. The closest I have come to joining the carbon revolution was almost buying a Look 585 Ultra, but then I bought a Ti frame instead. Call me crazy, but I still prefer: welds, pressed-in headsets, threaded BB assemblies, and seat tubes and seatposts where I can adjust to my heart's content. Companies like Trek, Cannondale, et al are pushing the envelope with design no doubt but at the same they are forcing concepts onto the consumer that limit choice with proprietary technology.

I'm sure this new Trek will be a very nice bike. But I doubt it is going to cause a "revolution" of the road bike world as Zinn would have us believe. I still have a hard time believing the drop-in BB bearings will not eventually have some problems with creaking or play in the crankset. And what if the bearing seat is not perfect? It can't be faced and chased like a conventional frame.

The integrated seatpost design seems to be catching on in the carbon world, but I think it is doing so for two reasons: 1) It is cheaper to manufacture the frame with a carbon mast than a carbon seat tube that has to be reamed and sized properly, and 2) The ISP solves the problem of the slipping seatpost in a carbon frame. But it puts the onus squarely on the consumer to cut it properly and possibly to make sizing compromises. In the new Madone's case, I am interested to see how it can accomodate a range of seat heights for a given frame size. I mean, I am 6' but ride a relatively low saddle height of 76 cm and use a saddle with quite a lot of "stack". Can a 58 Trek mast accomodate my saddle height? Or do I have to size down to next size and use a longer stem to compensate for the smalle frame size?

Anyway, it appears I am officially in the retro-grouch world so flame away!

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
The velonews article didn't mention any potential drawbacks for the frame, such as the inability to swap out cranks. Standard Stronglights, Zipps, Power Cranks, or SRM cranks won't work I take it.

Cannondale and Specialized also have their own BB diameter on some bikes using house brand cranks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Having just read all the stuff on Trek's site, I can only conclude that every bike they made before this one is pure crap. And I own one, too. The forks have a bad design, the seat posts suck, the BB is flimsy, etc. Makes me wonder if they'll come out with some totally new thing in a few years that talks about how all the stuff on the new madone is heavy, flimsy, and expensive.

It's a nice looking bike, but it's not going to win me any races.

TB

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
culdeus said:
Looks like they took the C-Dale approach and slapped on a proprietary stem thus increasing their profits in this way. Not that I blame them.
Anything proprietary in the way of replacement parts, in any industry, gets an immediate and very large red flag from me. Sony is notorious for this and so I tend to stay very far away from their stuff. It is not a selling point to me. In fact, it's just the opposite.

That stem is heinous, BTW. Way too bulky.

·
Registered
452 Posts
stevesbike said:
just wondering, is there some sort of internet theorem demonstrating that no matter how innocuous a subject, a forum will disinegrate into flames after a maximum of something like 10 posts?
ROFL! There probably isn't an applicable theorem that can be rigorously proven - think of it more like an empirical law... :p P.S. ad hominem, from Latin "to [a] man."

·
Registered
121 Posts
stevesbike said:
just wondering, is there some sort of internet theorem demonstrating that no matter how innocuous a subject, a forum will disinegrate into flames after a maximum of something like 10 posts?
word... in all different hobbies too. computer dork forums have penis-envy complexes too. its quite amazing.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not a TREK junkie, never owned one. That being said, TREK just put EVERYBODY back on their heels with this one. This is an actual leap forward in technology and will have other High end carbon makers scrambling to catch up. I especially like the two different frame styles, one with a longer headtube for those that can't bend into the Pro racer 10" saddle drop position.
Exactly how did they put everyone back on their heels? There's no evidence of anything revolutionary in this bike.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
rossb said:
Am I correct in thinking that it would be difficult - or impossible - to use a Campagnolo groupset with the new Madones?
Zinn article sez you can use any of the current spindle style cranks.

"The only tool required is a hex key to tighten the headset top cap and to attach the left crankarm on (it takes integrated-spindle cranks from all major manufacturers)."

And even if the crank was in some way proprietary, you could still use all the other parts.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.