Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
I saw one yesterday.......

it had a spoecialized label on it though...or was it Obrea, or willier? I can't remember.

Len
That's gold, Jerry, gold! :D

Nice looking bike though. Not a fan of the proprietary stuff.
As for Stronglight, lots of people use them. They make the Time cranks, I believe.

·
Registered
215 Posts
typ993 said:
So taking a hacksaw to your CF frame and limiting your resale potential doesn't bother you? Zinn seemed to have a different opinion about their seatmast.
I don't think that you have to cut anything to use the seatmast. It looks like they have 2 different seatmasts that are different heights and each has some degree of vertical adjustment.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Len J said:
the proprietary BB bearing design and headet design are done this way in order to increase the sale of proprietary parts by Trek.....most of what they claim is Marketing BS.
I pretty much agree. I think that more proprietary standards just make it harder to purchase parts and increases the price of the items. Will the stiffness of the BB be so much greater that people will be able to tell a difference? I would say it's unlikely but this isn't a strategy employed exclusively by Trek. Other manufacturers are also designing and selling proprietary parts using the marketing slogan that they are substantial improvements over the current designs. They might be improvements but what kind of difference it makes it the real world for an average rider is hard to predict.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Cannondale and Specialized also have their own BB diameter on some bikes using house brand cranks.
True, but contrary what most think, according Specialized, you can use a standard Shimano crank for the current S-Works road bikes that come with Specialized cranks (if that's what you're referring to). No idea about Cannondale.

And I guess I'm just a sucker for the looks of a "swoopy" frame. I like it, but I also like the looks of the Orca and Tarmac, so I guess it's no surprise.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Terry,

You don't have a Trek yet do you??

You should get one and tell us all what you think ........... :p
I love Treks. Treks for me are like a big bucket of Freedom Fries at a picnic on the 4th of July.

If it weren't for people buying all those Treks, there wouldn't be any bikes left around for me to buy.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Am I missing something?

shoerhino said:
I pretty much agree. I think that more proprietary standards just make it harder to purchase parts and increases the price of the items. Will the stiffness of the BB be so much greater that people will be able to tell a difference? I would say it's unlikely but this isn't a strategy employed exclusively by Trek. Other manufacturers are also designing and selling proprietary parts using the marketing slogan that they are substantial improvements over the current designs. They might be improvements but what kind of difference it makes it the real world for an average rider is hard to predict.

Other than the fork/HS, what on the bike requires proprietary parts?

99.9% of all bike owners never replace a fork on a pre-build bike. Percentage maybe a little lower at the high end of the market but not much.

If those cheezy a$$ BB cups work than so will this.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lifelover said:
Other than the fork/HS, what on the bike requires proprietary parts?
Frrom what I can see, the fork and headset are proprietary (as you mentioned), along with the seat mast system and the bottom bracket, although the BB is compatible with *most* systems. It's the *most* part that makes me wonder....

Additionally, they have a speed sensor "pocket" on the front fork and there is special computer that goes with it. Would you be able to fit another sensor in the pocket? - not really sure, although I bet the computer they sell works nicely with it.

It's not all proprietary but it's certainly more than most.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
don't kid yourself, Rivet...

OnTheRivet said:
I call 'em like I see 'em.

its got a seat, two wheels, and some pedals...its not the cure for cancer. its a bike and it only performs to the ability of the dude sitting on it.

of course Trek will tell you its the next big thing...they say that every year from what I remember...

·
Registered
215 Posts
bahueh said:
of course Trek will tell you its the next big thing...they say that every year from what I remember...
I don't think that Trek is any difference from the other bicycle manufacturers as it seems all companies with a marketing department hype their product, not just Trek. Specialized promotes zertz and their body geometry stuff, Cannondale promotes S.A.V.E and their special crank design, etc. I'm sure that these make some differences but how much? That's the question we all answer for ourselves.

·
Registered
495 Posts
wouldn't have bought a TREK before this model, won't buy one now. Nothing wrong with them just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
43 Posts
culdeus said:
Looks like they took the C-Dale approach and slapped on a proprietary stem thus increasing their profits in this way.
According to the info on their website the bottom fork uses a 1.5" bearing and the top bearing is 1 1/8". So it appears the fork will accept any of 1 1/8" stems on the market.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.