Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
Their team has always been a "WTF?" with funding. Dorel Industries, that owns Cannondale, is a billion dollar international industrial conglomerate...that apparently doesn't listen WRT funding a winning team.

The again...cycling is not a sport where being a title-sponsor brings in tons of business....and just about everyone sponsoring is in it for the money return.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think's it's tough to make things work out each season for the smaller teams with less funding. We have already lost a few of them. I am sure every company that has an interest in taking advantage of pro cycling as an advertising opportunity wants Team Sky or some other regional super team as their partner. The teams that win frequently and have the biggest following are obviously the most interesting from that perspective.

These guys play musical sponsors more than anybody though and it's probably a sign they are seriously at risk of not making it if they don't find some stability/appeal soon. I thought Cannondale was going to be the end to all of their searching, but this is turning out to be an almost annual event. It's crazy.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The sponsorship issues in cycling make auto racing look stable. It does seem there aren't enough sponsors to go around and not many new companies interested in coming in.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
And I don't think it is a problem whatsoever. From a fan's standpoint, top riders show up to the big events, and they race hard. No matter if they stay in the Ritz and bank 8 figures, or if they make $40k and stay in 2 star hotels.

In fact it could be that too much lopsided money is a bigger problem: 2 or 3 teams with $40M budget stealing all the talent. The solution isn't necessarily seeking to have 20 teams with $40M budget, which is pie in the Sky, LOL.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And I don't think it is a problem whatsoever. From a fan's standpoint, top riders show up to the big events, and they race hard. No matter if they stay in the Ritz and bank 8 figures, or if they make $40k and stay in 2 star hotels.

In fact it could be that too much lopsided money is a bigger problem: 2 or 3 teams with $40M budget stealing all the talent. The solution isn't necessarily seeking to have 20 teams with $40M budget, which is pie in the Sky, LOL.
We're not talking about an AAU basketball or travel soccer team here, it's a little more complex than that. Without the money, you can't compete basically. You can't attract the talent you need, you can't afford the staff, you can't pay for the wind tunnel time to optimize TT positioning and fit or the training camps, etc. This is a professional sport not an amateur crit. Without the money, you are not even in the game in essence, which is why you keep seeing teams fold.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
We're not talking about an AAU basketball or travel soccer team here, it's a little more complex than that. Without the money, you can't compete basically. You can't attract the talent you need, you can't afford the staff, you can't pay for the wind tunnel time to optimize TT positioning and fit or the training camps, etc. This is a professional sport not an amateur crit. Without the money, you are not even in the game in essence, which is why you keep seeing teams fold.
the talent has no where to go other than the Pro Tour though. and if it happens to be different guys than we have today, the race looks no different because it is all relative - mano a mano ... you've got a spectacle. There are countless pro sports with a tiny fraction of the money of pro cycling, and it thrives just the same. Heck cycling for most of its history was a sport of financially poor racers. It wasn't until the mid 80s when we saw superstars getting 7 figures. and those superstars were no more nor less than the financially poor superstars of the 40s-70s.

I think it is fine that superstar cyclists make millions, but I give no fux if they make 10M/yr or $50k/yr.

·
Registered
865 Posts
given that the Tour accounts for 80% of all exposure for sponsors, I'd imagine that Uran's performance is a big part of why sponsors are interested.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
the talent has no where to go other than the Pro Tour though. and if it happens to be different guys than we have today, the race looks no different because it is all relative - mano a mano ... you've got a spectacle. There are countless pro sports with a tiny fraction of the money of pro cycling, and it thrives just the same. Heck cycling for most of its history was a sport of financially poor racers. It wasn't until the mid 80s when we saw superstars getting 7 figures. and those superstars were no more nor less than the financially poor superstars of the 40s-70s.

I think it is fine that superstar cyclists make millions, but I give no fux if they make 10M/yr or $50k/yr.
Star athletes and performers have been commanding massive salaries forever. In the 1900s, Harvard professors were ticked that collegiate american football coaches were commanding triple the salary of tenured professors.

Breaking 7-figures had more to do with inflation and receding dollar-buying power.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What you are missing is that the "talent" doesn't have to pursue life as a pro cyclist at all. If you can't earn a living doing it, it becomes a hobby and you pursue something else. And you definitely don't want to be one of the only pro teams not offering competitive salaries and quality support, that's the real point here. Sky is paying well and has exceptional facilities and support on hand as do other big teams. Cannondale can't attract the top talent to compete with those teams if they don't offer decent wages and support. It's really that simple. Basic economics.

Edit:

Here's a little insight:

Pro cycling is the best deal in sports that brands are missing out on - Business Insider

Your name here — improving sponsorship opportunities in pro cycling | VeloNews.com

Finally, the model really isn't all that different than NASCAR and Formula 1 except that the Cycling teams aren't getting tv contract money, etc, which makes it tougher. Sponsors are key though just like they are in those more lucrative auto sports. Here's an article discussing a current example of how big a role sponsors play from NASCAR:

Alex Bowman to replace Dale Earnhardt Jr. in No. 88 car for 2018 season

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Okay, I’m very glad to hear they got a sponsor with deep pockets... but “Oath” just sounds awful phonetically if it’s going to be part of the team name. Try it out loud.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
"Oath" is a Verizon front branding FWIW.

Why Verizon chooses to obfuscate their ownership through a front I don't get.
Yeah, I read that. It’s their AOL/Yahoo conglomerate. Still a bad name. “Yahoo” would have been much more fun to hear the commentators have to say all season long... :)

Like Jelly-Belly, or when they pronounce Liqui-Gas as “Leaky Gas”...

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Oath" is a Verizon front branding FWIW.

Why Verizon chooses to obfuscate their ownership through a front I don't get.
Yeah, that's really weird and completely ineffective. We know who you are dudes....

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Glad they got a new sponsor, but that name, come on. I would think it should at least bring them up the average for budgets which is definitely helpful. Only a handful of teams can compete with Sky on budget and one of those teams is Katusha and what they are doing with that budget is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Okay, I’m very glad to hear they got a sponsor with deep pockets... but “Oath” just sounds awful phonetically if it’s going to be part of the team name. Try it out loud.
yebbut compared to the brutal dictatorships of UAE or Bahrain (or Tinkoff, LOL) ...

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They are now saying that the name on the jersey may be one of the divisions of Oath, like Yahoo or Huffington Post or Tech Crunch, etc. For whatever that's worth...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.