Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty cool, cycling news tested the Ksyrium ES under cyclocross conditions and seemed to like them. What you get; wheels 1490g, ti skewers 83g, wheelbags and tools for both truing and hub adjustments and for an additional 8% optional mavic protection plan. Dosent cover normal wear, but does cover accidents, good for cross and rough roads/ riders.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2006/reviews/mavic_ksyrium_es

Not that I am a K fan, actually I have been avoiding them. But due to recent wheel woe, they are looking nice...

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zipps 303 pave weigh in at 1350g and cost what $1200 and the rim is $400? to replace. Zipp does not offer insurance. They do offer a discount on parts for crash replacement for 5 years.

So for 'cross what's the best deal for wheels. Still a decent set of used tubs off ebay.
Or reflex/velocity escape 32h 3x DT Rev/sapim/pilar Ti to DA/Record/King/Tune? Costing $500 and up.
I guess replacing rims is part of putting on the miles...
I will see how my rear looks and feels after being de-hoped/trued.

· Registered
400 Posts
Depends on how you race and where you race...rocky and dusty courses, like we have in Norcal, would require 32H Mavic wheels, laced onto a set of DuraAce hubs. Maybe two wheelsets would work best; one lighter set with sewups for grassy, muddy courses and a heavier clincher set for the rocky stuff.
Don't know if I would spring for Mavic ES', though,...one gopher hole = taco'd wheel!

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
when I see those hoops on roadies

being reviewed they always comment "You should get a training set" that doesn't sound like much of an endorsement for cross use. plus even with the warranty you will be out a wheel for a month or more. (I've sent K's back to be fixed)

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Race and/or Training. I dont think one can get away with one wheelset. I think if one is planning on racing or just training or both, one would need two set of wheels regardless. Recently seems like I'm either having a tubular, clincher or rim problem.

ie two sets of OP's/velocity/cxp33 with whatever hub, two sets of K's, two 303s or one of each. depends on you budget.

atp- I forgot, what are you riding these days?

What I got:
Ambrosio f20/record/dt rev/32-3x (rear now has a hop, 1405g of hopness)
Cane Creek Aros team ti, 1474g
Cxp30/record/32-3x, 1983g
OP/centaur/ 32-3x
Moskva/chorus/ 32-3x
Proton front, 703g

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
for my crossers (for Kannas)

Bike 1 (Bianchi Cross Concept)
Wheelset 1 (am building) I blew up one of my Mavic Classic SCC Tubs so I'm going to take those hubs and lace 32 3x to mavic CXP 30 Tub rims. I'll save the other Classic Rim for my other set as back up. Oh and new Grifo 34's with extra side knobs sweet!
Wheelset 2 Ultegra Hubs 32 3X to Rigida SHC5000 tub rims Tufo Elite or Presitige Tubs 32 or 34 or 32 rear, 34 front (have under $300 for this set including tires)
Wheelset 3 (road clincher) Mavic K's that came with bike

Bike 2 (Ridley Cross - pre all the models)
Wheelset 1 Mavic Classic SCC Tubs Challenge Grifo 34 front 32 back
Wheelset 2 Ultegra Hubs laced 32 3x to Mavic GP4 Tubs Tufo T-34s (rough course wheels and tires)
Wheelset 3 (road and some cross) Ultegra Hubs to CXP33 rims (clincher) various tires

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers to the cxp30 crew

I wish I could score some NOS rims and lace 'em up w/ tune hubs and sapim.
I guess to could do that w/ velocity deepV tubs...aka pro elite 500g

w/ deep v rims, tune hubs, 28/3x sapim spokes 1673g (minus 40g for tub version)= 1633g

Bullet proof? did the same build exchanging pro elites for cxp30= 1583g

wonder if Liegro would do that build?

· Registered
813 Posts
I got a set of Araya Aero 1 World champ rims that come in at 335 g per rim

Also I have a set of Mavic Or-10 (gold) that weigh 339 per rim

I still need to build these up.

One set of rims will get Zipp Ballistic hubs

The other will get a Zipp 217 rear hub (220 grams) and an Am Classic micro 58 front

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.