Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i just joined this forum because I am in desperate need of some help. I know nothing about bicycles, so hopefully I have come to the right place. I recently bought a bike from target, it is the schwinn ranger 2.6 fs men's bike. and today, my bike seat and seat post was stolen from my bike (my bike has the quick release).

now my question is this: does ANYONE know a website or on top of their head FOR SURE the diameter of the seat post? I need to buy one asap, because it is my mean of transportation.

The bike shop i went to today told me they need to see my bike to be sure what size it is...but i dont have the resources to bring my bike there. any help guys? thanks a lot.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
asianmoomoo said:
hi guys, i just joined this forum because I am in desperate need of some help. I know nothing about bicycles, so hopefully I have come to the right place. I recently bought a bike from target, it is the schwinn ranger 2.6 fs men's bike. and today, my bike seat and seat post was stolen from my bike (my bike has the quick release).

now my question is this: does ANYONE know a website or on top of their head FOR SURE the diameter of the seat post? I need to buy one asap, because it is my mean of transportation.

The bike shop i went to today told me they need to see my bike to be sure what size it is...but i dont have the resources to bring my bike there. any help guys? thanks a lot.
Using a ruler that is marked in metric, measure the inside of the seat tube. That's your seat post diameter.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Do you have an auto parts store near by? (or an engine machine shop) THey should have somthing to mesure the tunle in the block where the cam shaft goes.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
asianmoomoo said:
I know nothing about bicycles, so hopefully I have come to the right place. I recently bought a bike from target, it is the schwinn ranger 2.6 fs men's bike. and today, my bike seat and seat post was stolen from my bike (my bike has the quick release).

Cheap department-store bikes use a lot of odd sizes. Chances are, being likely a steel bike, you won't find one available in a bike shop. Most bike shops don't stock oddball parts for department store bikes because they are made to be throw-away toys, not real bikes.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
Newby

The sizing is usually around a mm apart, not .2mm There are 3 standard sizes. The most common (like 80%) being 27.2mm. It is very unlikely that the 31.8mm seat tubes will fit.

You haven't been around many old bikes, have you? there are Campy seat posts out there from around 25.4-27.2 in .2MM increments. There is no way that anyone can remotely presume to state seatpost size with any certainty.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Geez Stooler, that was a rude thing to say...

Dave_Stohler said:
Cheap department-store bikes use a lot of odd sizes. Chances are, being likely a steel bike, you won't find one available in a bike shop. Most bike shops don't stock oddball parts for department store bikes because they are made to be throw-away toys, not real bikes.
You don't have an odd ball part or bike. Chances are it is an alu bike, not that it matters. i have 2 suggestions; go back to Target and get a measurement or get the to a bike shop by bus or car or cab with the bike. Pyramid is a company that makes alot of parts for the bike you own, my LBS carries alot of these parts. Average folk need parts to fix these types of bikes, any shop that carries BMX stuff will likely have a post to fit.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Second "Lone Gunman"

Go back to 'Target' and get a measurement, or ask the store manager to help you find out what size it was. Tell him you're a loyal 'Target' customer.

Next option.......carry the bike to a good bike shop and let them set you up. They can find out in short order what you need, and maybe make some friends in the process.

~ gotta love your LBS

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
croswell1 said:
Go back to 'Target' and get a measurement, or ask the store manager to help you find out what size it was. Tell him you're a loyal 'Target' customer.
Go back to Target. Find a bike that's exactly like yours. Open the quick release and pull the seat post all the way out. The size will be stamped near the bottom so you'll know for sure exactly what size you need. 2/10 of a millimeter doesn't sound like very much difference, but if it's that much too big you won't be able to get it into your bike and if it's that much too small it won't stay adjusted.

I wouldn't mess with asking the manager because he's probably not a bike guy and won't have a clue. I wouldn't want to take anybody else's word for it because that will introduce another possibility for error.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.