Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wanted a bike for her birthday last year and was just looking for something upright to ride around our neighborhood. She settled on an entry-level Trek and really loves it.

I got bit by the bug, as I used to ride 20 or so years ago when a bike was the only form of transportation I had in my poor days.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I started CraigsList shopping after I got over the sticker shock at my LBS. Found a 1997 Cannondale Silk Road 500 with some upgraded Shimano shifting hardware and fell in love. It's a nine speed, two front chain rings.

My question is...there is some front derailer rubbing in my fastest gear on the big chainring. Would a trip to the LBS for a tune up make a difference in my ride? Should I do some online research and try my hand at home mechanics?

I'll post a pic soon.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Remembered the trimming on Shimano left shifter that would solve the problem.

·
Naso Unicornis
907 Posts
lopreseti:

You are riding in the large chainring in conjunction with the small cog of the cassette. If the chain is rubbing on the outer plate of the front derailleur, then your front derailleur is not properly adjusted. Go to Shimano's website and look at the instructions on installing/adjusting the front derailleur. Use Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, etc.. They all have the same adjustments and installation.

CHL

P.S. Welcome back. That Silk Road 500 is a rare bike, make it a keeper.

·
LA CHEVRE
2,459 Posts
Trimming more or less means half-shifting the front derailleur. Basically, you make a tiny shift that moves the derailleur but not by a complete gear so the derailleur doesn't move the chain, it just gets out of it's way so it doesn't rub...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha...thanks. Lot to learn, but I'm having a great time getting back into riding. I'l like to get to where I can do most my own maintenance. Gonna pick up a set of bike tools and a stand today.

·
LA CHEVRE
2,459 Posts
It's not too hard to learn to work on the bike yourself, especially on a road bike. It's also something I enjoy personally and while it saves you money, I think it's also the best way to make sure your bike is always working flawessly.

·
Registered
756 Posts
clnr said:
Welcome back to cycling!
Park tools' website is a great source of knowledge for repairing your bike: http://parktool.com/
Park Tools website is great... Here specifically is most likely what you want if your chain is on the biggest chainring up front and the smallest cog in back:
http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

Probably read the 2 sections under the heading: Front Derailleur Limit Screw Settings

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.