Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name is Mike! I've just bought my first road bike. I rode a lot when I was young but nothing in the last 8 years or so. I picked up a Windsor Wellington 2.0 off bikesdirect.com. I wanted to get into riding without breaking the bank and I hope this will serve the purpose. I'm looking forward to meeting some of the community and learning what I can. Here's a pic of the bike. I haven't got to ride it yet because I'm fighting the front derailleur trying to get it to shift correctly. Any tips or tricks? I posted a thread in the wrenching section so maybe I'll get it. :D

·
Never Give Up!
1,238 Posts
Hey...welcome to the world of road riding, you will be hooked. Now get out and often my new found road friend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome! Have you figured your front derailleur out yet? Agree with the tip on Park Tool, but also youtube can be helpful if you are more of a visual learner.
I got it somewhat figured out. I finally had it shifting in all three positions but now it's back to only shifting in the bottom two...still able to ride but not thrilled about it...

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I got it somewhat figured out. I finally had it shifting in all three positions but now it's back to only shifting in the bottom two...still able to ride but not thrilled about it...
If you've already tried the online resources for FD set up/ adjustment, post some specifics (the more, the better) and we can try to assist.

If you had it functioning properly at some point in time, you must be on the right track.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the bike is a 2013 Windsor Wellington 2.0. The fd is a shimano 2300 (clamp style not braze on) for a triple crankset. The crankset is a triple Lasco? Not familiar with that brand so I'm assuming it's ultra cheap. The shifters are shimano sora sti, the up shift is with the brake and the down shift is a thumb button. Just out of the box the shifter would move the chain from the bottom ring to the middle but not up to the big ring. When you tried to shift to the big ring the chain would stay in the middle and rub the fd. I took it apart as far as removing the shift cable from the fd and zeroed out the barrel adjusters on the cable. I adjusted the height and put it back together. I dialed in the upper and lower limit screws. I had it finally shifting between all three chain rings and after the first ride it will now only shift between the small and middle chain ring. It's basically back to where I started. I don't know if the chain ring is the wrong size for the fd or what. I may have to break down and take it into a bike shop and have them look at it.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Well, the bike is a 2013 Windsor Wellington 2.0. The fd is a shimano 2300 (clamp style not braze on) for a triple crankset. The crankset is a triple Lasco? Not familiar with that brand so I'm assuming it's ultra cheap. The shifters are shimano sora sti, the up shift is with the brake and the down shift is a thumb button. Just out of the box the shifter would move the chain from the bottom ring to the middle but not up to the big ring. When you tried to shift to the big ring the chain would stay in the middle and rub the fd. I took it apart as far as removing the shift cable from the fd and zeroed out the barrel adjusters on the cable. I adjusted the height and put it back together. I dialed in the upper and lower limit screws. I had it finally shifting between all three chain rings and after the first ride it will now only shift between the small and middle chain ring. It's basically back to where I started. I don't know if the chain ring is the wrong size for the fd or what. I may have to break down and take it into a bike shop and have them look at it.
Bringing the bike to your LBS for adjustment may be your best option. If you do that, if possible, I suggest watching and asking questions as the mechanic dials in the FD.

That said, there are 5 adjustments required to dial in the FD. Setting height (the closer to the outer rings teeth, the better), getting the cage adjusted parallel with that ring, setting top/ low limits and setting cable tension.

I would start over, but this time don't "zero out" any cable adjusters, Rather, close them, then dial them back a few turns. When ready, you want the ability to tighten or loosen cable tension as needed and if you close them to their stops, it limits that ability.

I don't know what caused your initial setup to revert back, but would guess that the cables tension slackened enough where you now have insufficient travel to get the FD's cage over to the outer ring. Keep that in mind if you decide to redo the FD setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.