Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

Been looking at different forums, and it appears that I have found one with allot of very knowledgeable folks with a great deal of passion for the sport of cycling.

I'm semi-retired with a bit of time on my hands and I thought I would dabble a little in bicycle repair. Simple repairs actually. Leave the difficult stuff for the pros.

Just moved into a new house and am a bit concerned about washing mine and other bikes in the driveway. Where I lived before, I had a graveled area in the back that I used. Didn't need to be concerned too much about leaving a greasy mess. But I am in regards to my driveway. Is there anything I could use perhaps under the bike stand to catch the dirt and grime and clean off later? What have you folks down to alleviate this?

Thank you.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I'm having a hard time picturing a bike that's so greasy that it would make a big mess of your driveway.

The way I see it, you take off the greasiest parts (chain, cogs, chainrings) and clean those up separately, because they'll need a lot of solvent (which will probably have to go to your local dump/hazardous waste center in the end). The rest of the bikes REALLY shouldn't be all that greasy, and I wouldn't worry about the driveway.

And then once you have them all clean, don't let them get so dirty next time!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Point taken on dirty bikes. I keep mine clean. Mostly concerned about customers bikes. Will try to keep the job simplified without striping it down too much if I don't have to. Didn't know if there is something that would trap or absorb the grease without having to hose it down to the street

·
Registered
832 Posts
Water won't dissolve grease. Do any greasy parts by (gloved) hand with a suitable solvent. I use charcoal light fluid. Works great!

NO SMOKING!

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
The way I see it, you take off the greasiest parts (chain, cogs, chainrings) and clean those up separately, because they'll need a lot of solvent. The rest of the bikes REALLY shouldn't be all that greasy, and I wouldn't worry about the driveway.
/QUOTE]

I clean the really greasy stuff as described above, but for general cleaning and maintenance, I just wipe them down on the lawn with a rag and Simple Green (or sometimes dish detergent) in water, then rinse with a hose. Been doing it on the same small lawn since 1979, and it doesn't look any different than it did then.
We're only talking about an ounce or two of SG in a half-gallon of water, so I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Cardboard

Time2ride said:
Is there anything I could use perhaps under the bike stand to catch the dirt and grime and clean off later? What have you folks down to alleviate this?
I'm not a big fan of sloshing soap and water on a bike unless it is beyond dirty, and I don't remove my chain when I lube it. However, I do sluice on the lube so as to fully loosen any "chain grinding paste" in the chain before I wipe it clean, and that means black drips. I just lay down a piece of cardboard under the bike where the drips come. Take a shipping box and open it up so you have a flat piece of cardboard that's 18 or so inches wide and 3+ feet long. An old shower curtain can also serve as a drop cloth, but the advantage to the cardboard is that it soaks up the excess lube.

·
Registered
832 Posts
There's always a kiddie-pool. Invite the little monsters over for a swim in the grease. They won't bother you again.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
can't help you much, I have a gravel driveway. I do lay newspaper on the ground to soak up grease or oil on a major degreasing job, HOWEVER if you are doing a LOT of very greasy bikes I would invest in a parts washer, places like harbor freight have them pretty reasonably (like a 6.5 gallon for under 50 bucks), you can filter your solvent and re-use for a long time.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I have a hard time thinking of a bike(s) that greasy, and, like Kerry, I'm pretty generous with the chain lube. I also do some work on my cars. They're a little dirtier. What I do is lay a piece of cardboard box where the oil/grease is going to fall. I then cover the cardboard with kitty litter. When I'm finished I pour all the litter into a 5 gallon sized plastic bucket. Whenever I work in the yard or garden, as I finish I take my shovels, rakes, hoes, etc. and "stab" them into the bucket with the litter. That cleans them & keeps them from rusting.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Time2ride said:
Is there anything I could use perhaps under the bike stand to catch the dirt and grime and clean off later? What have you folks down to alleviate this?
Your local auto parts shop (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, whatever) should sell absorbent mats you can use for this purpose. People working on cars in driveways have a much bigger problem with dripping grease and they have things to deal with it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

I have a friend who has a number of cardboard boxes hanging around. After I pick them up I'll head out for some cat liter and then over to my neighborhood Pep Boys.

Thanks folks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts