Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the good luck to run a ProRace2 rear tire for a year without a flat. I am going to have a wheel tension and true check done this week and will be installing a new ProRace2 tire on front and rotating the front to the rear. Is it best practice to install new tubes at the same time or keep the old ones until they flat.

Michelin Man what is the expected life span of a Michelin tube? I have about 1500 miles on this one. I gave up on cheapo tubes from Performance due to random quality problems.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Tube changes

jmess said:
I have had the good luck to run a ProRace2 rear tire for a year without a flat. I am going to have a wheel tension and true check done this week and will be installing a new ProRace2 tire on front and rotating the front to the rear. Is it best practice to install new tubes at the same time or keep the old ones until they flat.

Michelin Man what is the expected life span of a Michelin tube? I have about 1500 miles on this one. I gave up on cheapo tubes from Performance due to random quality problems.
Some people change tubes like they were milk in the refrigerator. Others think that as long as you don't have overlapping patches on a tube, it's good to go. I suspect that the newest tube on my bike has over 20,000 miles on it, and the oldest may be closer to 40,000 miles. YMMV. BTW, I use Michelin tubes and I think they're great, especially the smooh valve stem and low weight (70 gm).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Some people change tubes like they were milk in the refrigerator. Others think that as long as you don't have overlapping patches on a tube, it's good to go. I suspect that the newest tube on my bike has over 20,000 miles on it, and the oldest may be closer to 40,000 miles. YMMV. BTW, I use Michelin tubes and I think they're great, especially the smooh valve stem and low weight (70 gm).
I have to agree that there are tons of different opinions on changing tubes. To be honest, I only change my tubes when they get a flat. I haven't had a flat on my road bike in years, so "years" (no idea how many) was the last time I changed them.

I don't think Michelin actually has a stated life span on tubes. Most of the times, tubes will get a flat before they break down enough that they need to be changed.

One of the major reasons that we use the smooth valve stem is so the threads don't chew up your pumps. My pump head is as silky smooth pushing it on the stem as it was the day I bought it and I won't have a need to replace it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.