Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything "wrong" with the new Motobecane / Mercier frames + forks, per se? Are they as good and as bad as any other Alu frame out there?

I know a guy who did the BD thing just to kit out his new team ride, and is selling off the frame super-cheap. It's my size. I need a beater rain / crit bike.

It's that or go to eBay and find another CAAD4/5, but this is cheaper.

·
Banned
476 Posts
same as anything else

a new Motobecane frame will be the same quality as any other brand made in taiwan; Felt, Specialized, Bianchi, and Fuji [may very well be the same frame as the Fuji - many are]

it is easy to know the weight by asking your friend to weigh it
one Motobecane they say the frame is 2.8 lbs - which seems light to me

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I THOUGHT someone told that it was a Fuji with different stickers. As for the weight, meh, it's within a couple ounces one way or the other. It's not for the Col du Tourmalet. I just don't want it to break or ride like junk.

·
Banned
476 Posts
why would it break?

I can not dream of why you might think a Motobecane or Fuji frame would be more likely to break than anything else

The only brand I have seen that is known for breaking is Cannondale [probably why so many people call them crackndales]

anyway, frames made in Taiwan all seem to be very high quality these days; no matter what sticker they put on the downtube

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Argentius said:
Anything "wrong" with the new Motobecane / Mercier frames + forks, per se? Are they as good and as bad as any other Alu frame out there?

I know a guy who did the BD thing just to kit out his new team ride, and is selling off the frame super-cheap. It's my size. I need a beater rain / crit bike.

It's that or go to eBay and find another CAAD4/5, but this is cheaper.
As long as by super cheap you mean less than $150. Otherwise you maybe better off looking used on ebay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi.
I make contact with Kinesis, Trigon and Amity in Taiwan few days ago and one of them answer mine questions.
Yes. They make the frames for all countries in planet...
No. No difference betwen Amity Trek and Amity GTS maked in the same room, but for differents factories...
The problems that can be found is about the fabrication in one (%) of all frames... i see an 2004 Specialized brakes in top tube... maked in Taiwan.
Mine bike is one Taiwanese AEROTECH alloy with carbon fork. And mine Specialized Allez Sport brake in 2004... and i´m only 136,4 Lbs.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
Argentius said:
yeah, it's one bill.
hey argent....you should start a new thread where you tout your smarts and expertise at buying a bd frame for less than people who buy from bd. you've managed to get a (probably superior) quality frame for less than they could. then, call anyone who buys a "new" moto from bd a snob who only likes to waste their money.

watch out folks, we've got a new king of good deals on superior frames
yeah, that should be a new thread ;)

regarding the crit/race frame. go for it. then we can say, "you've made a wise choice my friend"

·
Registered
499 Posts
collectorvelo said:
I can not dream of why you might think a Motobecane or Fuji frame would be more likely to break than anything else

The only brand I have seen that is known for breaking is Cannondale [probably why so many people call them crackndales]

anyway, frames made in Taiwan all seem to be very high quality these days; no matter what sticker they put on the downtube
I saw an IF Crown Jewell break last week. It was during our Tuesday night crit and a guy had his head down racing around a corner. He ended up plowing into the curb. He dislocated his should and tour something in it. Fortunately, the crit is in one of the hospital parking lots.

As for the Crown Jewell, the steel downtube bent and tore about 6 inches below the head tube. The Top tube broke off at the head tube and the down tube broke off at the bottom bracket. The front rim broke at the weld. Amazingly though, the carbon fork held up fine.

The cables held the bike together. It was amazing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Argentius said:
that's it.
If it is a Motobecane Vent Noir with the entire frame of aluminum and a carbon fork then it is probably the same frame as my Le Champion. It would be well worth $100 if it is in nearly new condition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts