Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Bike Ninja
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the good word on this bike. Specs seems pretty good. Full sram apex group:

"Physically, Apex closely resembles its predecessors and with a suggested price of US$799 SRAM hopes it will encourage those who want the look-and-feel factor without the financial cost to make the leap. Parts key to shifting performance such as lever internals and chainrings are identical in both Rival and Apex, to provide like-for-like function. However, Rival's carbon brake levers make way for Apex's aluminium equivalents. There's also less machining in components such as the forged dual-pivot brake calipers, which sees Apex give up some 225 grams to Rival, but the dollar/gram equation will create a natural division within the SRAM range."

- bikeradar

All this on a sub $900 bike. The cost of the bike is close to the price of the drivetrain by itself.... :blush2:

- https://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/first-look-sram-apex-group-review-25053/

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If the fit worked out I'd buy this thing in a heartbeat for my daughter, who wants to get into road biking. The gearing would be perfect for a non-athletic beginner. There's no deal in Canada that could come close, even on the used market. Too bad it's so hard to get these things into Canada

·
Bike Ninja
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys just need to find steeper hills apparently. AC used Sram Apex on one stage of the tour where there was 25% gradient. He's probably not that athletic which is why he needs it :p

·
prosciutto corsa
364 Posts
Waiting patiently for arrival.

Same geo as the Sprint/Vent Noir etc. bikes.

SilentAssassin said:
The cost of the bike is close to the price of the drivetrain by itself
That's MSRP, though. You can score a full Apex gruppo for way under $799.

And AC didn't use SRAM Apex, he used RED with a custom cassette (30t rear cog) which in turn inspired the APEX gruppo. And he didn't use it on the Tour, he used it during the '08 Giro on the KronPlatz mountain TT.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Source?

SilentAssassin said:
You guys just need to find steeper hills apparently.
Probably.
AC used Sram Apex
I've heard this before (on this board) but never seen a source. I've also heard (on this board) that Apex was inspired by Contador, as he requested a special cassette.

Source?
one stage of the tour where there was 25% gradient.
Which stage had 25% gradient?

I don't mind being wrong here. I'd just like to see some sources. To be fair, I'm not much of a cycling fan. I spend my time riding.

·
prosciutto corsa
364 Posts
LocalHero,

The source info is actually provided in the link from bikeradar in SilentAssassins first post. It's all in the last section before the specs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Except that it wasn't the tour, it was the Giro, it wasn't 25%, it was 24% and it wasn't Apex, it was a custom cassette - you got it just right. ;)

·
Bike Ninja
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Local Hero said:
Probably.I've heard this before (on this board) but never seen a source. I've also heard (on this board) that Apex was inspired by Contador, as he requested a special cassette.

Source?

Which stage had 25% gradient?

I don't mind being wrong here. I'd just like to see some sources. To be fair, I'm not much of a cycling fan. I spend my time riding.
And on forums...? I'd be riding but still waiting for my chinese carbon wheelset.

·
prosciutto corsa
364 Posts
SilentAssassin said:
AC used Sram Apex on one stage of the tour where there was 25% gradient.
When you casually say 'the tour' in this context, people think TdF. Yes, the Giro is a Grand Tour.

BoT, which color do you prefer on the Super Strada?

·
prosciutto corsa
364 Posts
SilentAssassin said:
Yes, but unless you specify TDF, the tour could mean any of the three grand tours.

I prefer the green color.
It could.

lol, I don't believe they come in green.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That bike looks like one heck of a sweet ride. If I were in the market for a road, I'd grab it. Looking forward to pulling the trigger on a cross hopefully sometime soon.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.