Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this '87 Bianchi Brava for $80. It's in very good condition for it's age, and it's fun to ride.

I haven't been able to find any info on the frame quality. It's lugged with Columbus tubing, but since most of the Columbus sticker is missing, I don't know what grade tubing. The Brava is a lower end bike, so I don't expect it's anything special, but I'm curious anyway.

Anyone know anything about the reputation/quality of these particular Bianchi frames? Same frame as other models? What tubing? Any info is appreciated.

How do older steel production bikes like Bianchi or Trek compare with current steel frames like the Surly Pacer or Soma Smoothie?

Thanks.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
stupidgringo said:
I just picked up this '87 Bianchi Brava for $80. It's in very good condition for it's age, and it's fun to ride.

I haven't been able to find any info on the frame quality. It's lugged with Columbus tubing, but since most of the Columbus sticker is missing, I don't know what grade tubing. The Brava is a lower end bike, so I don't expect it's anything special, but I'm curious anyway.

Anyone know anything about the reputation/quality of these particular Bianchi frames? Same frame as other models? What tubing? Any info is appreciated.

How do older steel production bikes like Bianchi or Trek compare with current steel frames like the Surly Pacer or Soma Smoothie?

Thanks.
Whatcha' got there is a nice, midddle-of-the-line 80s road bike. I believe the frame was made in Japan, yes? Is that Suntour Sprint equipment on it? I have no idea what kind of Columbus tubing is on it, but who really cares anyway?!

Very groovy bike. Comparable in quality to a contemporary Soma or Surly, but the lugs give it a bit of mystique. And you cannot beat the value! $80! Hoo Nelly!

Ride the heck out of it. It's not a collector, so upgrade those components as inspiration strikes you.

- FBB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. The shifters and derailleurs are Suntour Sprint with an Ofmega headset and Bianchi labeled cranks. The wheels are Durex with Campy knock-off hubs, and the brakes are Modolo America.

The frame was made in Italy, or at least it has a sticker that says it was. I asked about the tubing just out of curiosity. A bike either rides well or not, regardless of the type of tubing. So far I like the way this one rides.

Thanks again.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
stupidgringo said:
The frame was made in Italy, or at least it has a sticker that says it was.
I stand corrected! That looks like a genuine Italian Bianch. Very nice find.

stupidgringo said:
I asked about the tubing just out of curiosity. A bike either rides well or not, regardless of the type of tubing. So far I like the way this one rides. Thanks again.
Go to sheldonbrown.com and search on the Bianchi and the model name. The tubing might be Columbus Tenax, but I don't think so (I think that was used mostly on Schwinns). Most likely, it's good, old fashioned Columbus Cro-moly. Could be straight-gauge, could be butted. As you say, so long as it's decent tubing, the exact type should not matter too much. Most would agree that all Italian lugged steel Bianchis ride nicely.

- FBB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.