Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found some sewups I had purchased about 1987 or so tucked in back corner of the garage: a pair of Conti Sprinters, and a pair of Vittoria;s CG/CX. (Longer story than I can recount right now on why they've been AWOL). They're on rims, but never glued/mounted. The latex on the sidewalls is deteriorating a bit.

Are they safe to mount and ride, or are they a throwaway? I was thinking that applying some new latex to the sidewalls would be appropriate, but don't want to go to the bothe rif I should just write these off.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Brushing latex (basically rubber cement) onto the sidewalls of old tubulars used to be a common winter ritual back in the days - made the tires good for another season. But also check the base tape. If the edges are curling away from the tire, pull on them and see if it's easy to pull the tape off the stitching. If it is, I'd toss the tire. Don't know why, but I've never been able to satisfactorily glue old base tape back onto an old a tire.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
The Conti's should be safe if you check the glue on the base tape. Base tape can always be reglued. Same for the Vittoria base tape, but the Vittoria's need to be checked out very carefully because they are made of cotton. If the sidewalls aren't discolored, they may just need a coat of latex to protect them. I'm not sure if Branford Bike still sells that item. I bought a small jar of it 12 years ago, and it's not even 1/4 gone.
Ps. If the cotton sidewalls on the Vitoria's are discolored, it probably means that the cotton is starting to rot. A sidewall blowout in a race, will cause a bad crash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.