Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this and couldn't believe my eyes. This could impact many cyclists in Columbus and central Ohio. I looked for details of the ordinance to confirm the article below, however couldn't find any additional information.

The primary goal of the ordinance is to require helmets, but it appears it also has language to keep cyclists off the streets. Hopefully the article below has it wrong or possibly the proposed ordinance applies to minors only.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25217067

http://council.ci.columbus.oh.us/council_news/advisories/Advisories_220.asp

· Registered
2,403 Posts
I did a quick Google search with the idea that Ohio laws might be similiar to the laws here (Minnesota).

§ 4511.07 Local traffic regulations.
(A) Sections 4511.01 to 4511.78, 4511.99, and 4513.01 to 4513.37 of the Revised Code do not prevent local authorities from carrying out the following activities with respect to streets and highways under their jurisdiction and within the reasonable exercise of the police power:
(8) Regulating the operation of bicycles; provided that no such regulation shall be fundamentally inconsistent with the uniform rules of the road prescribed by this chapter and that no such regulation shall prohibit the use of bicycles on any public street or highway except as provided in section
4511.051 of the Revised Code; [Note: 4511.051 refers to freeways.]
Sec. 4511.711. (A) No person shall drive any vehicle, other than a bicycle, upon a sidewalk or sidewalk area except upon a permanent or duly authorized temporary driveway. Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting local authorities from regulating the operation of bicycles within their respective jurisdictions, except that no local authority may require that bicycles be operated on sidewalks. “Shall ride within 3 feet of right edge​

Just like here, local authorities in Ohio are prohibited from being able to regulate traffic beyond the State's Uniform vehicle code. Somebody may want to point that out to the city council in your town.

Scot

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Point Scot

Appreciate the insight Scot. The more I read elsewhere reinforces what you point out about state law trumping local ordinances in these situations. I am just starting to educate myself in this arena, so I appreciate your thoughtful post.

This is likely an issue with the press only getting part of the story and a misguided politician. Imagine that. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.