Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished repainting my 1980's vintage Basso. Here are some before and after pictures. I used an automotive primer and urethane enamel final coat paint applied with a high volume low pressure paint gun.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,188 Posts
Well Done!

I assume you painted the bike yourself? Well done. That looks very professional.

Did you get the "Basso" decals? How much would you charge to paint my bike?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I did the repaint myself. I am an avid DIY. I use projects like this as an excuse to buy new tools/toys, although my wife seems to have caught on. I used a regular 3.6 hp air compressor, HVLP paint gun and hobby sand blaster.

I got the decals from Cyclomondo, he sells from eBay. The decals worked well, very good quality and came with good instructions on how to apply.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was my first attempt at painting, so I did some reading to figure out what to do. I did a sandblast with 60 grit garnet sand. This is supposed to be good for bike frames, cleans well but does not damage the surface. I cleaned with a solvent, then applied an etching primer followed by two coats of fill primer. I wet sanded between coats. I applied three light final coats (red) and wet sanded with 600 grit before the final coat.

The paint actually is smoother than the pictures show, my picture resampling seems to make it look dimpled.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
timber_cruiser said:
Thanks, I did the repaint myself. I am an avid DIY. I use projects like this as an excuse to buy new tools/toys, although my wife seems to have caught on. I used a regular 3.6 hp air compressor, HVLP paint gun and hobby sand blaster.

I got the decals from Cyclomondo, he sells from eBay. The decals worked well, very good quality and came with good instructions on how to apply.
I can vouch for Cyclomondo. The Reynolds 531P decals I got from him are perfect and I plan on geting the Falcon set for a redo this winter.

And I've had some e-mail exchanges and Greg is a straight up good guy.

By the way, very nice job.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Wow, that just looks awful... black bar tape??? Shoulda used white, then it'd look sweet! :D
Seriously now, that looks very very nice! Silver paint, or chrome?

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
timber_cruiser said:

That paint job looks excellent!

I've been wanting an air compressor lately. I keep checking them out at Home Depot. I'm sure I could find plenty of uses for one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts