Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a question about painting. I am looking to paint my new frame, with a matt finish. I want a flat solid black finish. I have looked online but have been unable to find a clear answer. what i'm looking for is advice on how to do it in house, and try to keep it cheap, but i know the less you spend the worse it looks. All i want is a black finish, with no shine. what i need to know is types of paints/primer to buy as well as other supplies and details i will need to complete this new project, ie. sandpaper, windex, etc. Any tips??

·
Registered
329 Posts
How worried are you about how it will look? Flat black home paint will be porous and fingerprints will show (oils). I know this because I have one *professionally* painted mat black frame (and *it* shows fingerprints, drink spills, sweat drops, and everything else).

If you clean it constantly it will look stealth, but short of that it will look bad.

My suggestion therefore is to strip off all parts, scuff the frame lightly with some fine grit to give the paint something to "bite" on. Get some cheese cloth with alcohol to take all the sanding grit, dust, and oils off. Then get some nice rattle can and spray on thin coats letting each dry to reduce runs.

Beyond that, you can save yourself a bunch of headaches (literally...fumes get to me) by looking up a powder coater in your area. Around here you can get a steel frame powder coated for less than 150, and it will be a VERY durable finish.

I assume the frame is not CF...right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct not a CF frame.

I am not too worried about how it will look, What I am looking for is a no gloss finish, and my friend recomended a matte finish, similar to the one he has on his car.

Now with the rattle spray paint, do you reccomend any products over others. And I have also been told to prime the surface first, is this needed or can i get by without.

Thsi bike is going to be just for everyday use, nothing special, and it's probally going to get banged up a bit so I don't want to dump a lot of money into it, but still don't want it to look like crap.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
car touch up paint, $3/can... wouldn't even bother to primer, just sand the old paint first.

if you're not looking for a pro finish, rattle can should be ok, cuz they are not that durable and generally suck

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Use a medium brush, so you won't get many drip on your new frame. If you are careful, you can do it without taking any parts off.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you really want a matte finish, Krylon makes an "Ultra-Flat Black #1602".

Here is what they say about it:
  • Decorator paint; fast drying lacquer spray; creates a smooth finish
  • Excellent durable weatherability for outdoor use
  • Great for fences, furniture, cabinets, bicycles, doors, planters
  • Use on wood, metal, plastic, wicker and more
  • No runs, no drips, no errors
  • Dries in less than 12 minutes
  • Coverage: 20 - 25 square feet
Obviously, you're not going to get professional results. But for the small investment made, should turn out looking decent.

Good luck!

Paul

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Krylon is great stuff. Sticks to almost anything. You can find it at drugstores, discount stores, auto parts stores, etc.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Automotive primer black is really cool stuff. Either way, you should consult a body shop in your area. Those guys have painted just about everything and anything. I disagree with unit, matt black is really cool and stealth looking. Almost nothing will show on it. Just a wipe down once in a while.
I'll be selling this one on Ebay in a few days.

·
I am no Guide
571 Posts
jturcot2 said:
and the paint you used on the above picture was...?

If you read the post it says Automotive Primer, and have a body shop paint it.

+1 on the body shop painting it.

My only problem with a flat back bike with no decals is that it makes it look like you are riding a stolen bike...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i just wanted to make sure, and i'm trying to keep the price down, so I am going to do it in house, i have painted before just no bike frames. And I have no problem riding my own bike, I could care less if someone thinks it's stolen, it's mine and my style.

·
I am no Guide
571 Posts
jturcot2 said:
And I have no problem riding my own bike, I could care less if someone thinks it's stolen, it's mine and my style.
You wanna roll looking like a Thief that is your prerogatived.

It was just a statement of opinion of mine on flat black bike with no stickers...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hooben said:
Automotive primer black is really cool stuff. Either way, you should consult a body shop in your area. Those guys have painted just about everything and anything. I disagree with unit, matt black is really cool and stealth looking. Almost nothing will show on it. Just a wipe down once in a while.
I'll be selling this one on Ebay in a few days.
What size is it?:D

·
Registered
578 Posts
ive painted a few bikes now at home... 2 of them being flat black..

my favorite is DUPLI COLOR SELF ETCHING PRIMER ... ammaazinggg stuff sandable... helps make your frame super slick and ready for paint. DUPLI SELF ETCHING...

then use RUSTOLEUM... MATTE BLACK / SATIN BLACK... outdoor spraypaint... works very good.. and gives just a little sheen that you see on factory matte black bikes... you dont want it super matte... because the paint gets stained and what not very easily...

sand sand sand.. preparation is key... mask off what you dont want sprayed.... and dont forget to let it cure.... spray many light coats....

good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Krylon will give you a paint job roughly equivalent to the cost. Find some junk around the house and give it a try. I would try to find a topcoat that is flat or satin instead of primer. Primer is very porous by design and not very durable (it is rarely catalyzed). I used some satin black paint from Marhyde on my Porsche wheels. It still looks great after 5 years. Prep is the key: scuff with Scotch-brite and clean with lacquer thinner.

My first suggestion is to have a body shop paint it black and then clean coat it using a flattening agent in the paint. This will give you the best results. It will be durable and chemical/UV resistant. A good paint supply place (sometime NAPA) can actually mix paint custom and put it into a spray can for you. Then you can do a base/clear system with the flat clear. Just so you know, perspiration is one of the chemical resistance tests automakers use to judge paint durability. I can be nasty stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
k, thx for the help, so far i have hve the bike stripped down tothe bare metal frame and sanded down ready for paint. The paint I am most likely gonna use is krylon ultra flat black camoflauge paint. It is going to give me the color and sheen that i am looking for.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
jturcot2 said:
k, thx for the help, so far i have hve the bike stripped down tothe bare metal frame and sanded down ready for paint. The paint I am most likely gonna use is krylon ultra flat black camoflauge paint. It is going to give me the color and sheen that i am looking for.

you took it all the way to bare metal??? are you planning on using a primer? the easiest way would have been to sand the existing paint until smooth, and let that be the primer... oh well, live & learn

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.