Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a month of hard work stripping paint and grinding off cable stops, it's finally done. I bought this for $100.00, (my wife was thrilled) took off some small parts and turned it into this. I painted this myself and I have to say taping off lugs is more time consuming than one would think. Oh and when it comes to paint stripper, get the toxic stuff. And yes that is a biopace front sprocket. View attachment 160602

View attachment 160604

View attachment 160603

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Nice job! Is that rattle can? I think it looks great, and IMO, the lugs were worth the time spent masking them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It's an automotive finish. The worst part about the lugs is that it took two hours to tape them off and 15 minutes to paint them.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
supermex said:
Thanks. It's an automotive finish. The worst part about the lugs is that it took two hours to tape them off and 15 minutes to paint them.
The result was well worth the work. Beautiful

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Nice work on those lugs. Wish mine looked that good...I guess painting with a Q-tip has its disadvantages....

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Damn! Thats great work! Love the lugs and the paint as a whole! Very impressive:)

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Sorry, but that's too nice n purty to ride.
However, I'll ride the bike for you, free of charge!

Excellent detail work on the lugs. The results are worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the positive comments. This is the fourth frame I've painted, and while I've liked them all, I think this one's my favorite. I didn't think the Bianchi on the seat tube would be such a big hit, as it was an extra I made and couldn't let go to waste.

·
Kram has marked me
209 Posts
Supermex - define "made". Can you make decals? I am just starting to strip my 80's Bianchi Volpe and I was going to go stickerless on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I run the vinyl department at a sign shop, so I just found a color of vinyl and font I wanted. From there it was just a minute or two to cut and weed. Pretty simple stuff really, any local vinyl shop in your area should be able to hook you up.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
painting

So you painted both the frame and the lugs? I had a frame powder coated then i sprayed the lugs with auto touch up paint and that worked out really well. I do have a small air compressor and paint spray can though. Auto paint seems just so expensive for the amount you want.
You painter with a sprayer that requires an aircompressor right?
I may try it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts