Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
the tw-5 looks like a pretty nice torque wrench and is nicely priced. the guistaforza torque wrench from rei seems nice also but cost double the park and those little bits don't add up to double the cost. i personally have the tw-2 by park and although it isn't a ratcheting type, it works well for me. i don't know how the long term accuracy will be as mine is new. the tw-2 is only $35 at most shops.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
the tw-5 looks like a pretty nice torque wrench and is nicely priced. the guistaforza torque wrench from rei seems nice also but cost double the park and those little bits don't add up to double the cost. i personally have the tw-2 by park and although it isn't a ratcheting type, it works well for me. i don't know how the long term accuracy will be as mine is new. the tw-2 is only $35 at most shops.
I wouldn't trust that TW5 for the low torque items such as stems (~5nm). My personal experience with clicker wrenches has been very (very) bad when using them toward the bottom of their scale. Ruined a stem that way. On the other hand, Park is a very reputable company so my trust level would be enhanced by that. But, I'd still recommend a lighter wrench (say, 0-8 nm) for the lighter stuff.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Looks like a very nice wrench, and Park makes great tools.
However, I have used a Craftsman for years and it has served me well.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
the tw-5 looks like a pretty nice torque wrench and is nicely priced. the guistaforza torque wrench from rei seems nice also but cost double the park and those little bits don't add up to double the cost.
But its Made In Italy. Doesn't that alone justify double the price? :cool:

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
thoughts...

I have to laugh at folks who think they need a torque wrench for small M5 or M6 bolts. A trained hand is all I've ever needed and all my frames, post and bars are carbon.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
C-40 said:
I have to laugh at folks who think they need a torque wrench for small M5 or M6 bolts. A trained hand is all I've ever needed and all my frames, post and bars are carbon.
Kinda harsh. One can certainly develop a feel for adequate torque, but that takes a while depending on the person. As you say, a "trained hand". What, other than a torque wrench (or years of lucky guessing), provides the training?

High-dollar click wrenches are silly for bicycle applications, IMO.

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Kinda harsh. One can certainly develop a feel for adequate torque, but that takes a while depending on the person. As you say, a "trained hand". What, other than a torque wrench (or years of lucky guessing), provides the training?

High-dollar click wrenches are silly for bicycle applications, IMO.
C-40 certainly has a point. However, I've completely assembled my last five bikes, and while nothing has ever come loose or cracked or stripped, for me it would just be nice to *know*, ya know?

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
jtab1 said:
Torque Wrench

Anyone have one of these?
I buy tools from Northern for my students to use. They are still novice technicians and tend to break stuff rather fast. I have had very good luck with them and would recommend.
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/default.asp?TID={5DE525A1-323D-4D76-B60C-5CDAB85DDA52}
These guys are really good also.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
C-40 said:
So, um, your skill level and experience is relevant to others' how?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
parity said:
But its Made In Italy. Doesn't that alone justify double the price? :cool:
ONLY if I am riding it or her. :p

·
Registered
797 Posts
Please, if ever I'm so stupid as to over pay by almost twice just to have a "name" sombody please pimp slap me!
Park can go take a flying leap! I'll stick with names like Craftsman, SnapOn, Mac ect...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Paying double brings twice the smiles right? :D

Plenty of wrenches from $35-$120, this just adds one more to ponder over. Ironically, there are enough that will think Park is the game for bicycle specific tools. Mainstream Snap-On is only for car mechanics.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts