Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a pair of speedplays to replace my SPDs on my road bike (had been using the pedals from my mtn bike). Would going from an SPD cleat, that is recessed into a mountain shoe, to a speedplay pedal and cleat mean i need to raise my seat a bit?

I don't know if the few cm matter, but it does seem like the speedplay cleat sits farther from shoe than the SPD did. So would that change what my seat height should be a bit?

mostly just interested in the answer, not sure if it will matter in practice, though. Oh, and i'm not paying for a new fitting just because of new pedals.
thanks

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
You need to measure from the floor of the shoe (the inside) to the center of the axle. The MTB cleat is recessed but that's because the shoe has big lugs sticking out from the sole. Those don't affect the stack height.

A few CM? More like a few MM, and yes it does make a difference. Change your seat height the same amount as the stack height changes.

If you think a bit about the measurements you can make, you can duplicate your old position with the new shoes/pedals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, thanks, meant MMs.

I think the thing that might change the height of the new shoes is the adaptor plate for the speedplays. I'll see what i can measure.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,268 Posts
Measuring is cool, but chances are you'll just start adjusting by feel anyway. Enjoy your new set-up!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had LBS fit me a few months ago to new bike. One of the changes to new bike was a new seat. I tried several seats and every time I changed seats the fitter checked and sometimes changed the seat height. I know that's not exactly the answer to your question, but the point is that these are very small varitions and the fitter changed seat height.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts