Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put crank bros candy c pedals on my bike. I have always used toe clips so I am trying to figure out the best way to attach. Any tips? I had a bit of trouble getting the right foot in as I rode around the neighborhood this evening.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Practice, practice, practice

joelh said:
I just put crank bros candy c pedals on my bike. I have always used toe clips so I am trying to figure out the best way to attach. Any tips? I had a bit of trouble getting the right foot in as I rode around the neighborhood this evening.
Climb on your bike where you can lean on a wall. Clip in, clip out, clip in, clip out, clip in, clip out. Repeat. Then do the same thing riding up and down a very quiet street where, if you get into trouble, you can tip over on some grassy lawns. Even after all that, you will likely panic once or twice and fall over. It will be a much smoother experience if you just practice the motion over and over.

·
Registered
119 Posts
First clipless tumble today

I just started using clipless pedals a week ago. I love riding the bike even more with my feet attached. They did humble me today though. No damage to speak of; I did skin a knee and bruise my ego a bit.

The "incident", as my wife is calling it, happened when stopped at a light in a left turn lane. My foot got stuck in the right pedal...boom. Several car drivers got to see the whole show, but worse, my wife saw it happen too. Her reaction went something like, "Oh no. Are you OK? chuckle, snort, giggle. Let's go."

Sigh. Guess I should have practiced a little more. The practice falling on grass tip would have helped...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Clip in one side. Pull that up to the 12 o'clock position. Stand, and pedal hard once with that leg. Sit down, and then set your cleat on the pedal. Turn it into the position it needs to be in -- an assisted clip-in. That's what I do on Keo pedals.

Try loosening up the tension on the pedal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I learned clipless, it helped to have a little mark on the top of my shoe (some washable marker etc, if you dont want to ruin your shoe.) indicating where the cleat would engage the pedal. Also, as others have said, clip in, out, in, out, in, out. Eventually it will be muscle memory and you wont have to think at all.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
Like mentioned above you should clip in one foot while stationary. That said, my experience with quattros and eggbeaters has been that it is awkward to clip forward into the second pedal after you get going. it can help to stop pedalling and slide your unclipped foot backward into the pedal. a slight backpedal motion helps accomplish this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.