Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my pedals to Speedplays and my right foot is falling asleep. It feels like my toes have lost circulation and I have to unclip and try to get the blood flowing again. The clip on my right foot is set very close to my left foot and I do not have any problems with it. Which way do I need to move the clip on my shoe? Any other suggestions that I might try?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
202 Posts
what kind of shoes do you have? are you tightening the straps from top to bottom or vice versa? do you pronate in your shoe while riding? how did you setup your current cleat position? by yourself or someone at a shop?

·
Registered
19 Posts
With speedplays or any small platform pedal it is important to have a really stiff shoe, preferably carbon. Also I would strongly recommend orthodics. Even if you just get the ones they have at REI that you put in the oven to heat mold to your foot. It makes a huge difference, in a sport where it is all about pushing hard with your feet.

·
Registered
196 Posts
most people should not be installing the cleats themselves. you should go to the bike shop and ask them to make sure you have it appropriately positioned. Especially if you're paying a lot of money for expensive shoes and cleats. Its amazing, the most important contact point on the bike and people still think doing it themselves will work...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Speedplays. In my case, I had the clips set back as far as they could go. My right foot would cramp up and eventually start to numb. No issues with the left foot. What I discovered is that on my right foot, my toes would clench up. I moved the clip forward less than one cm on the right shoe. The problem stopped. I have Specialized shoes, no carbon soles. As suggested, maybe a stiffer sole would make a difference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same problem consistently with my right foot on my CB Quattros after a hard 25-30mi. I simply loosened the lower two straps a bit on that shoe. Haven't had the problem since.

·
a$$hole
368 Posts
BLUEMEANIE said:
I had the same problem consistently with my right foot on my CB Quattros after a hard 25-30mi. I simply loosened the lower two straps a bit on that shoe. Haven't had the problem since.
I had same problem...only started around the 30 mile mark. In addition to distal half of my left foot going to sleep I was developing this agonizing pain in my first three toes...a neuropathic type of pain.

I loosed the two lower straps a bit on my shoe a month ago...haven't had the problem since.

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
I'll assume that the shoe fits and is not tight.

then....

Move your cleats back, and you'll need to lower the saddle very very very slightly, assuming it was the correct height to begin with.

Starnut

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thnaks for all the replies. I did loosen my shoe straps and it did help. I guess my feet were swelling. I will take my bike and shoes to my shop and get fitted for saddle height.

Thanks to all

·
AnthonyB
198 Posts
I have the opposite problem, actually. When I try to do 1 legged pedaling drills my loose leg's foot goes to sleep instantly. Clip back in and I'm fine . . . Clearly not as big of a problem as going numb when actually riding but still a little concerning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.