Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got out for my first ride on my new Poprad today. I absolutely love it. Went into the shop to open only to find out I didn't work the morning shift. Fortunately my bike had just come in, so I built her up while I was there. Its so nice I might even get rid of my Colnago to help pay for college... haha. Here are a few pics. Oh, and I definately notice chatter in the fork. I think Im gonna get some new pads to see if that fixes it. We'll see...

· Registered
26 Posts
Very nice

Congrats on the new bike, and heads will turn I tell you.:cool:

I have the same bike, and the brake pads that come with it are just rubbish. They are noisy and they leave lots of dust, and grime on the rims if they get wet.I used them for a week, until my Koolstop Tectronic's arrived. Huge difference no noise and no dust, and they stop very smoothly.

http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/index.html first ones on the page.

Enjoy your new ride.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried the new pads, but still horrible chatter. Our trek rep is coming in on monday, so Im gonna ask him to bring me a new fork to try. BTW, I also tried different wheels (Open pros) so I know its not that. Im gonna play around with the height of the brake cable straddler, see if raising it up has any impact. If all of this fails, I may just end up getting a new fork and or front brakes, maybe a ritchey wcs fork and some pauls... the worst part is Im finally done with school and the weather is starting to get really nice, and now that I have this bike I dont want to ride anything else...:rolleyes:

· Registered
18 Posts
Fork chatter on the stock Poprad

From my experience with an '05 Poprad, the brake chatter is due to the combination of the Kenisis fork and the Avid brakes. Pick one or the other, replace it, and you should be fine. I chose new brakes - Empella's, and no more chatter. I've also seen folks replace the fork only, and the problem is solved.

· Registered
19 Posts
Fork Chatter

I have never owned a Lemond, but had chatter problems on a Surly Cross Check and a Salsa La Cruz and both were fixed by a combination of Kool Stop pads and increased toe-in (toe-in on the Cross Check was pretty extreme, but it worked). Maybe that will help.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New New Poprad

Not sure what was meant by the 9spd comment, but its a moot point. The poprad is now campy equiped 10spd(Centaur shifters and derailliers). It has a Truvativ carbon cross crankset, paul touring cantis, and Open Pro wheels. I had a lot of the campy stuff laying around, so its not like I had to buy another bike, and because I really prefer campy, it worked out well. Plus its unique. The bike is now a pound lighter, down to about 21 with everything but the light. I really wasn't trying to lighten it up much, but I'm not about to complain. I'll try and get some better pics tomorrow. As for the chatter, I'm still awaiting my new fork, but by toe-ing in the pads from Paul, the issue is almost non-existant.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All said and done, It set me back around 1300, but I have a full 105 groupo to get rid of that will knock that down a bit. I had a few of the campy parts laying around though. Just took her through the mud on a trail after work. She looks even better now:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.