Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This baby is still in route to me from Japan....I hope to have the frame by this weekend..

Many more pics and details to come... The biggest issue I'm dealing with now is the frame has 110mm rear spacing(8mm axles).

I have 3 options...

1. Buy a Dura Ace conversion kit if I can find one...They sell a kit for converting Dura Ace 7600 hubs to 110 spacing and sloted 8mm axles. They are only about $40 but very hard to find. I have the hubs already.
2. Buy a Phil Wood conversion kit- Phil also sells a Keirin conversion- It's about $110 for the kit...I hve the hubs already
3. File the 8 mm dropout slots to make them 10 mm. I can then either shove a 120mm rear hub in place or respace my Dura Ace 7600 hubs to 110 but leave the 10mm axle( easy job)

I'm leaning toward number 3

Anywho.....I have plenty of time to think about it....I'm going with a chopped black Brooks B17 saddle with very cool black bar tape that has red stitching....

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
I hope it arrives soon so you can have a bike to ride. It looks sick, by the way.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I know, the purest in me wants to keep it at 110mm with 8mm axles...

We'll see what happens when the frame comes...

btw, doesn't phil make 110 keirin hubs? just get one of those. pure, baby

·
Cap'n of Industry
1,753 Posts
If you want to make it 10mm and perfect it could be machined easily enough. Clever use of a drill press and some scrap lumber could also yield nice results.

BTW that is one fine looking frame. You'll have to start track racing now.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I have Phil's(see option number 2).. He wants $110 for the conversion kit... I still might do it becasue my Phils are black with red PHIL lettering,

well just build up some keirin wheels... I know you want to. pure, pure, pure

novatech & miche hubsets are relatively inexpensive, but the phil bling is hard to beat

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
no are NO help at all.....Spend, spend, spend...... :)

Edit: [email protected] you.....I just ordered the Phil Keirin conversion....110 spacing it is

NO, [email protected] YOU... here is was I feelin' all hawt gettin' a BFSSFGGB IRO and before I have the time to install a headset and transfer parts (still not done) you roll out a new Casseroll and NJS frameset... [email protected] you!

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
That's a good way to start off '08... just when I was sure I was over the keirin thing you throw this out there. Lucky short people. The lug work looks as good as Sampsons which I think have some of the best frame work of all of them (except maybe Nagasawa.)

I see you've already order the Phil kit but I thought keirin-culture sold the Dura Ace kits as well (speaking of Dura Ace those 7600 high flange hubs have really come down in price...)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
You just want to "out bling" us all at the next Dave Hickey Memorial SoCal Fixie Ride. I'm just going to have to find a red 3 Rensho (always wanted one) before you get here.

By the way, I got the "old guy" pic. Way cool. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
And P.S.

If you found Performance, you could have swung a dead cat and hit us. We're two doors over, towards the beach, but easy to miss in our "strip mall." Shame, as I was hoping to see you again.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
And P.P.S.

That's a gorgeous frameset. What's the genesis? I'm not familiar with the Giro. Tubing? Builder?

I still want a 3 Rensho - I have since the '80's.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Frame came last night...5 days from Japan..wow....

Here are a couple of close up lug shots....sweet...

NJS baby... you gonna put some cut-down risers and deep Vs on it? no brake or are you gonna drill it? if you're gonna drill it then I mighta had a diff response on the wheel qustion...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.