Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a new 54cm R5000 today and put my campy titanium record pedals on it and tossed it on the scale at the shop after my fitting. It weighs just under 18 pounds at 17.95 lbs. Nothing to be happy about. This is stock with the FSA SLK compact crank and Mavic Elites, plus the pedals which weigh about 280-90 grams.

Now to figure out what to replace to get this to 16. I'll weigh the stock parts when I can.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Start with the wheels. If you look at the weight weenie bikes, they all have light wheels. You can knock at least a pound off with the wheelset alone. Then, maybe the post.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
FondriestFan said:
Start with the wheels. If you look at the weight weenie bikes, they all have light wheels. You can knock at least a pound off with the wheelset alone. Then, maybe the post.
I'll swap my SL's from my R700 once the weather gets better, saving ~170 grams. I'm bringing my Aspide saddle over too, which is 65 grams lighter than the Arione (245gm). So those 2 swaps will ~235 grams (0.52 lbs).

I bought on ebay the EC90 equipe bars (ergo shape, 195 grams) to replace the Fire bar on the R5000 (says 255 gms on the bar) saving 60 more grams.

I have a dura ace crank that I'm putting in after I try out the compact for a while. The FSA SLK compact (172.5) is ~795. The DA ~735. 60 more grams.

So that will be ~360 grams ( 0.8 lbs). I'll be around 17.2 pounds with some nice components. I hope the stem and post are pig heavy, cuz after I upgrade those, what else is left? Maybe the Time titanium RXS pedals for ~80 grams.

(cross posting this to Save Some Weight forum)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Exactly!

bikerbrian said:
if you want to get that 17.95lbs down to 16 in a hurry just replace the ksyrium elites with some Zipp 202s :D
zipps for sure! lots of other wheelsets 1300-1350.

·
Hammerhead
174 Posts
bikerbrian said:
if you want to get that 17.95lbs down to 16 in a hurry just replace the ksyrium elites with some Zipp 202s :D
Or you could just take a big dump before you ride. It's a helluva lot cheaper and makes about as much difference in how fast you are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts