443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just built a new race bike, here it is:

2009 Raleigh team frame 62cm, Easton EC90SL curved fork, FSA headset
DA 7800 177.5 mm cranks, 7800 bb, 7800 front/rear derailleur
7801 chain, 7800 shifters, SRAM Force brakes, ultegra cassette
Neuvation R28SL3 wheels, Ritchey seatpost, Origin8 stem, FSA energy bars
Specialized rib cages, Look KEO sprint pedals

17.25 pounds with cages/pedals (seatpost weighs 310 grams :eek: ), whole build cost me about $1800 cause I had the wheels already. I have not ridden it yet, but when I do in a few weeks I will update this thread. The saddle has not been adjusted yet.

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
Looks great. except your tires don't match in color. :) Now I say that with full disclosure that right now my tires don't match in color either, but I didn't post a picture with it like that:) .

I'm kidding around, nice looking bike.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Love that frameset. But then again, I'm still biased.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,137 Posts
Hey, that's a nice looking Raleigh and it's my size too!

·
Registered
157 Posts
the best thing about your bike is that it doesn't look like a 62 cm. I too ride a big frame (62cm) but have always felt the midsize to smaller size frames are proportioned better, and look better. the yellow/gold color is cool - nice change from the trendy red/white/black color scheme that so many bikes have these days ( mine included )

17.25# is a good weight too for such a large bike - especially for the $$ you spent.

enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody, I'll post a ride report in a few weeks when all the sand/salt gets sweeped off the roads. :cool:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ride report

Well I got about 100 miles on it this week, and it's awesome. The ride is much smoother than my old aluminum frame, so it's more comfortable just doing tempo on the flats. Since it's 5 pounds lighter than my old bike, going up climbs feels a little bit faster and the stiffness of the bike feels incredible. It feels like something is pushing on the back wheel because I'm used to the rear end flexing on my old bike when I get out of the saddle. Sprinting is a similar story; very stiff overall. Descending feels a lot more natural than my old bike, I guess because the fork is designed better and it's stiffer.

The fit of this bike is also a little bit better than my old bike. I'm 6'4", so the 600 mm top tube with a 130 mm stem on this bike is great. If anybody is wondering, I can't tell the difference between my old 175mm cranks and my new 177.5 mm cranks, it only affected my saddle height and fore/aft position of the saddle by a couple mm. I think it probably helps me a little, though.

The components are also great. Anybody who hasn't tried shifting a Dura Ace crank needs to sometime. It is incredible. I'm used to having to think about how hard to push the lever or even look down to see why it wasn't shifting, but Dura Ace is pretty much the same as shifting the rear derailleur. You just push the lever and it goes, usually so smoothly that you don't even notice. The rear derailleur only shifts slightly better than 105. The SRAM force brakes are great comared to what I had (sora). Overall it's working very well and it was well worth the money.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
A couple of comments: T
1. That sure is a great looking bike. I like the color.
2. Smooth ride? Anything would ride smoother than an aluminum frame. :)
3. I just bought a new Dura Ace gruppo,and you're right about the front shifter. It's like buttah.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
A couple of comments: T
1. That sure is a great looking bike. I like the color.
2. Smooth ride? Anything would ride smoother than an aluminum frame. :)
3. I just bought a new Dura Ace gruppo,and you're right about the front shifter. It's like buttah.
agree the front two items!:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts