Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new bike. My old position was 10mm or so longer. I always felt to stretched out. But i never had pain. It just didn't feel right. the new bike feels perfect, but now I am having pain near the middle of my upper back on the inside of my right shoulder blade. it is really sharp, stabbing, sometimes dull burning it varies when it starts sometimes as soon as i get on and yesterday it was 2 hrs into a ride. I don't think it is a drop issue. I think i need a longer stem. Anyone have advice on where it will hurt if....to short, to long.. ect.
And what is normal while adjusting to a new position.
Thanks

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having pain from the cockpit being too short, knees banging into elbows maybe, but I suppose it could happen.

Are you sure the new bike is set up exactly like the old, in terms of saddle position to BB (fore-aft and height)? Only then can you compare the reach between the 2.

Feeling perfect, but with pain does not sound like perfect to me. When changing bikes it is common for it to "feel" different, but if set up the same you shouldn't be getting pain. Something is not the same.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
b987654 said:
I just got a new bike. My old position was 10mm or so longer. I always felt to stretched out. But i never had pain. It just didn't feel right. the new bike feels perfect, but now I am having pain near the middle of my upper back on the inside of my right shoulder blade. it is really sharp, stabbing, sometimes dull burning it varies when it starts sometimes as soon as i get on and yesterday it was 2 hrs into a ride. I don't think it is a drop issue. I think i need a longer stem. Anyone have advice on where it will hurt if....to short, to long.. ect.
And what is normal while adjusting to a new position.
Thanks
I'm not saying it isn't related to your position on the bike, but that sounds like "mouse pain" to me. It's commonly caused by using a computer mouse all day, expecially if you sit far enough back from the desk that you have to reach forward to use the mouse.

Exercises like lat pull-downs and rows can make this go away by strengthening the irritated muscle so it doesn't cramp as readily. Also, sit as close to your desk as you can and put your mouse near the edge so your elbow is at your side (or close to it) when using the mouse.

To relate all this to your bike thing: I used to get mouse pains the most when I did a lot of pushups. Perhaps you're putting more weight on your hands now, and that's causing a problem? Are you keeping your elbows bent? You might also try strengthening your core (crunches), which will help you take weight off your arms.

Of course, if you don't use a computer much the whole theory's out the window.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
weak neck..

A weak neck can cause shoulder pain. Try neck strengthening exercises. Clasp your hands behind your head, bend your neck forward, they apply resistance as you slowly raise your up. Do sets of 10 a few times day.

I use just enough stem length to avoid knee to arm contact while riding in the drops with my fingers in reach of the brake levers and my upper back as low as I can tolerate for an extended period. Any longer stem just puts more strain on the shoulders.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I get a simalar pain between the scapula on my left side. I have been to physio and the recommended exercises are lat pull down, upright row, rowing machine, slow controlled good position (elbow into side) elbow bent at right angle moving from front of body to the outside with resistance band. I find that massage helps to relieve the pain. Or when im broke (often) i lay on a tennis ball under the sore spot for as long as i can stand (no medical advice with that one use at your own risk). I have just changed to wider bars and am hoping that this will alleviate th problem. I find its worse on my mtb from the bouncing. hope that helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.