Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my 10 speed Shimano DA (short cage) rear derailleur with a new 10 speed 105 medium cage.

I mounted the 105 but for some reason the derailleur jockey wheel is not aligned with the smallest (12t) cog but about 2 or 3 cogs in. It seems the rear der needs to move outward but how?

I hooked the shifter cable but figure I'd check here before I waste time or screw up.

Thanks in advance...

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,566 Posts
Pretty sure you've discovered that fact that new derailleurs don't come pre-adjusted. You ALWAYS adjust the limit screws before you attach the cable.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
artscyclery.com has some good DIY videos on how to set up your drivetrain. Used them to get my odd SRAM Yaw FD dialed in when the LBS couldn't figure it out.

That or your RD hanger is bent. My CX bike RD hanger came bent from the shop, brand new.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,566 Posts
artscyclery.com has some good DIY videos on how to set up your drivetrain. Used them to get my odd SRAM Yaw FD dialed in when the LBS couldn't figure it out.

That or your RD hanger is bent. My CX bike RD hanger came bent from the shop, brand new.
If your shop couldn't figure out a YAW derailleur I'd look for a new shop.

All hangers are straight when new...it's the frame interface that isn't perfect causing you to need to align your hanger to that particular frame.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you hit it...

Pretty sure you've discovered that fact that new derailleurs don't come pre-adjusted. You ALWAYS adjust the limit screws before you attach the cable.
I didn't realize the limit screw could move the pulleys that far. I will try it when I get home.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
I didn't realize the limit screw could move the pulleys that far. I will try it when I get home.

Yep. 3 cogs in sounds like limit screw is turned all the way in.

Did the bike possibly fall on the drive side sometime during the process? If so, you may very well have a bent hanger. Look at the bike from behind. Is the cage straight up and down or does the bottom of the cage turn inward slightly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts