Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my chain was showing right around .75 stretch, so I thought I would change.

I put a nice wippermann chain on, only to have it jump under load.

I replace the Red Cassette with a brand new one, even though the "old" was only one chain old! Still jumped.

Replaced the wippermann chain with a SRAM 1090R. Still jumped.

So, I have a brand new 1090R & SRAM Red cassette and it is unusable.

I can swap in a Force or dura-ace cassette and it works like a champ (either chain).

What gives? Seems like these Red cassettes are just not usable, but that can't possibly be since I see evidence of folks using them.

Any ideas??

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Errr... ever thought your derailleur might need an adjustment?

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
HIghly unlikely - the Red cassettes are made from a stainles steel that is suposed to outlast most cassettes out there.

What Cleaves said.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yea, checked. And just replacing the cassette with a non Red (Force worked, and DA worked) resolved.

Even brought it into a shop (certified SRAM dealer).

Of course it can't be worn out either, since the second one was brand new!

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
Are you saying that your SRAM 1090R chain and Red cassette are working together?
Aren't they supposed to be compatible?
Just like you, I'm little lost here.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are NOT (at least in this case). Both brand new, chain jumps as if the cassette is worn. I had same issue with the previous Red cassette, which only had one chain on it, with no more than 0.75 stretch.

It seems very odd to me..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know this is kind of a silly question are you testing with the same wheelset? This also can throw off chain line. I have been running full red for a season and a half with two different red cassettes with no issues. (other than being really loud) I have lightning fast smooth rear shifts (up front a bit of a different story).
If your rear der. is adjusted properly (also check your hanger) you should have no problem. There is always the chance you cassette has some defect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep exact same wheel.

I thought of perhaps I have a defective cassette, but both really should work, my "old" one is really not very old, probably a couple of thousand miles with a single well maintained chain (right around 0.75 stretch when I replaced it).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't try all of them, but all the ones I did behaved the same way, and I did try several in the middle of the cassette.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I strongly doubt it was the SRAM cassette. As you point out, thousands of these are in use and for you to have both a too quickly worn one and a new defective one seems unlikely.

You need to look for other causes, and to help others help with possibilities, you need to give a better definition of skipped.

Do you mean the chains climbs out and runs the over the top under high torque?
Or, do do mean the chain attempts to begin an abortive shift in certain gears, then skips over the tops of the teeth?

A better description of exactly what's happening, would help us to see through your eyes and narrow down the possible problems. It's nice that thinks are OK now, but at some point you might want to get value for the stuff you bought, but have pulled off the bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree, I seriously doubt I ended up with the only two bum cassettes, so I am too am looking for alternative explainations.

So, what is happening is under load (at around 400 watts) the chain "jumps" over the top of the teeth on the cassette. It skips and then re-engages the teeth on the cassette. It feels like it just skips one tooth.

Does that help at all?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Remote possibility and

a shot in the dark, but perhaps the "missing teeth" feature requires maximum chain wrap over the cogs? Judging from this photo of an opened RED cassette, you could have up to four teeth less engaging than you would on a standard cassette wth the upper derailleur pulley in the identical position.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep. That is by design. But it is unusable in my configuration, where I know that there are others who are successful.

I am a bit at a loss here, just looking for ideas on what the problem might be (since I don't believe they are bad cassettes, they just don't appear to work for me).

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
ScottChapman said:
Yep. That is by design. But it is unusable in my configuration, where I know that there are others who are successful..
Understand that—agree that they're good cassettes. My thought was that your upper jockey wheel might not be close enough to the cog teeth. But as I said, just a wild guess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts