Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I just had a question for all of you experienced riders out there... I am currently considering purchasing a bike from Bikesdirect.com and wanted to know if anyone out there has any feedback for me.

I am considering the 2004 Motobecane Gigi, and since this is my first bike I want to make sure that A. I'm not buying a dud, and B. I'm getting the right size. Female 5'11" roughly about 165lbs. Inseam is 33.25, Torso 57.75, Arm 22... according to these numbers I should have a 54.46 size frame, but I'm wondering if I should go down to a 54 or up to a 56... any suggestions

I have tried to contact bikesdirect.com myself, but have yet to hear from them. With that said any feedback that you all have would help me out a bunch...

Thanks!!

J

· The Right Wing
871 Posts
Based on nothing more than what you posted, 5'-11" females usually have long legs. This would suggest the 54 is the right size to keep the top tube short enough.

Is that your cycling inseam or pant leg?

Is this a shill for Bikesdirect dot com?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
53T said:
Based on nothing more than what you posted, 5'-11" females usually have long legs. This would suggest the 54 is the right size to keep the top tube short enough.

Is that your cycling inseam or pant leg?

Is this a shill for Bikesdirect dot com?
this is my cycling inseam...

Basically I want to know if the bike is quality or not... I realize that with entry level bikes you're basically getting similar components, I just didn't know if anyone out there has experience with this brand of bike, and also with bikesdirect.com.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Just do a search of the forums under bikesdirect and you'll get plenty of info from all sides. You're entering a mine field asking about them around here. . . .but, that's the fun of it all.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... I went out and actually bought the bike.

After a little research, and budgeting I went to another LBS in the Columbus area, where they actually know what the heck they are doing. Purchased a Trek 1000. Took it out today for the first time and didn't do too bad.

I'm going to chalk the soreness in my upper traps to the positioining, and the fact that I'm not used to it at all. Rode about 11 miles averaging about 15-16mph. Doesn't seem to bad to me... but hell, I'm a beginner.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advise... Going to the LBS was probably the best advise... not only that but they gave me a deal on a trunk rack (yes I know roof racks are the best but I can't afford one right now)

Anyways... Thanks

Jess:)

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
You done good. Buying a bike online is dicey even if you know what you are doing. A good lbs the way to go, especially for "noobs".;) Have fun!

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Hey, one thing about the trunk rack is you'll be saving a lot in gas not having that roof drag. Also, don't have to worry about smacking into a garage or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.