Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm reposting in the beginner section since I realized this is where my thread belongs.

I've never owned a Road Bike, but I really want to get into cycling. I have been riding mountain bikes. I want to cycle as a means of transportation but also as a sport.

I live in San Diego which is pretty popular place for cycling, and I have been scouting craigslist for quite sometime. Some of the bikes I've looked at were pretty beat up, and the guys are asking near retail prices for them.

Nevertheless I get to ride it, and more or less see whats wrong with it. (or hopefully so with my untrained eye)
Should I continue with my Craigslist venture. Here is what I will look at tomorrow. Opinions? I'm going to bring along my Ironman roomie to inspect the bike. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/bik/721200595.html

Or decide on purchasing a bike from BikesDirect, my only problem with that is finding something that would fit me well, AND there is so many choices.Carbon Fiber or not? 105 or higher? I'm staying under $1000 and want something that I won't be upgrading in the near future. Hey maybe even suggest a model. Eventually I want to do an Ironman, but that will be down the road so I won't necessarily use this bike for that.

I also realize I need to put aside some money for a helmet, shoes, and other gear.

As for myself I'm 6'1 215lbs, Large Frame, and heavily built. (Think linebacker)

Thanks for any replies otherwise I'll welcome myself to the site.

· Registered
188 Posts
Hey welcome to the site. In your price range you wont find a new carbon bike. Not likely even a used one. For your first bike definitely try craigslist. Bikes depreciate very quickly like cars. If someone is asking close to retail then they are out to lunch. Even on a bike with virtually no mileage out of the store it will still be worth way less. I'd stay away from 8 speed. 10 is now becoming standard but 9 is more then enough for what you'd need. Just ride as many bikes as you can to see what you like and what fits you well. Buying new for 1000 is tough but you have some options. Check out Trek's entry level road bike the 1.2 It's getting great reviews as a great bang for your buck entry level bike. Make sure you buy a bike that fits you, not you trying to fit to the bike.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I missed out on a carbon fiber w/ 105 components that was a "year old" for $750. The guy sold it 5 hours after posting.

Nevertheless, I am not sure if I really need a carbon fiber frame. I guess I will continue to shop around on Craigslist, but summer is here and times a wasting. I may breakdown and buy off of BikesDirect, but it seems like its a real "shot in the dark."

My random question, can a 6'1 guy fit on a 56 frame? or will I be too big? I ask because there is a lot more 56 frames than there is 58's, and as of right now I haven't gone to any 56's.

· Registered
188 Posts
I'm 6' and ride a 54. Dont worry so much about frame size as top tupe length. You could fit perfect to one manufacturers 56 and anothers 58. Top tube length is the important factor in bike fit. You can obviously tweek a bike to make it work with a different length stem or moving your seat but that's not ideal. You want to feel comfortable on the hoods and in the drops without feeling to stretched out.

· Registered
6 Posts
buying on internet

I recently went back to riding and had the same questions.. See my thread and replies from a few weeks ago. The decision I made ( after some epxert advice on this forum) and have been happy with ever since was to go to my LBS (local bike shop) and let the expert shop owner guide me.. I spent $800 for a Bianchi .. then bought a new helmet , etc.. Totla spent about $1100 Fit is prefect, ride is perfect and I have over $150 miles on it in a week and a half..

I thought about Bikes Direct and spoke with someone on craigslist New jersy..

but my local bike shop ( LBS) said .. free adjustment and service for a year disounts on accessories.. , etc , etc. etc. .

there is no service on the internet.. any problem .. you are stuck.

a problem with your bike from LBS.. and you are down to shop to discuss and get fixed.

I say try your local shop

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So just a little update.
I gave craigslist couple more shots, and literally 2 bikes were sold in my face (guy arrived 5 minutes before me), the other was sold while I was driving there and double checked directions. Honestly the one bike looked decent, but it was a 2000 allez and he was asking 600 for it and it was a tad too small for me anyhow. $50 burnt in gas, and just frustrated. (Not to mention the countless hours spent, surveying, researching, and calling people) Summer is in full effect, and I'm on the computer NOT riding!

I took everyone's advice and after going to several different bikeshops armed with some info I knew I was going to stick with an LBS for my first bike, and started out with looking at a lot of the entry level, and got to feel the difference between some of the different frames, and components.

One place has 0% interest 0% payments for 12 months, and I can take the 07 Lemond Buenos Aires for 1500, its on closeout I believe
Not a steal or anything, but it fit perfectly, and I liked it, so I put it on layaway, (only had 1 left in my size..) I'm going to take another look tomorrow, read a lot of reviews about it, and seems like a solid bike. My reasoning is money is good, and I'm going to stick to this sport so I might as well invest a little more green and have something that I can hold on to for a lot longer, without the desire to upgrade.
Going to start looking at extras tomorrow...pedals, helmets, shorts, and shoes. I don't want to cheap out on these, but then again I don't know what I'm paying for. I have quite a wide foot, so I will just try a bunch on.

And to make things more fun, I twisted my ankle this morning walking to work. :thumbsup: :mad2:

· Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up one of those Specialized Allez Elites as my first road bike. Good performance, handles the rough roads pretty well and over all is pretty dam comfy. The Tiagra works for me, but once again it is my first bike. I'm sure it'll get upgraded after this season but the frame is dam good IMO.

· NewRider
51 Posts
I think the retail price for a new 07 Lemond Buenos Aires is more than 2k, so not sure why you feel it's not a steal??

I recently bought my first road bike and was planning to spend between 700-1100. After researching on this forum and BF I concluded there were 2 options:

1. buy an "entry-level" bike and upgrade it over time
2. buy a more expensive bike upfront

The 2nd option is less expensive + you're riding a really nice bike from day one

Coincidently I also ended up buying a NOS Lemond Buenos Aires. It was an 05 and I paid 1400 for a triple - I love it!

terminatorsd said:
So just a little update.
I gave craigslist couple more shots, and literally 2 bikes were sold in my face (guy arrived 5 minutes before me), the other was sold while I was driving there and double checked directions. Honestly the one bike looked decent, but it was a 2000 allez and he was asking 600 for it and it was a tad too small for me anyhow. $50 burnt in gas, and just frustrated. (Not to mention the countless hours spent, surveying, researching, and calling people) Summer is in full effect, and I'm on the computer NOT riding!

I took everyone's advice and after going to several different bikeshops armed with some info I knew I was going to stick with an LBS for my first bike, and started out with looking at a lot of the entry level, and got to feel the difference between some of the different frames, and components.

One place has 0% interest 0% payments for 12 months, and I can take the 07 Lemond Buenos Aires for 1500, its on closeout I believe
Not a steal or anything, but it fit perfectly, and I liked it, so I put it on layaway, (only had 1 left in my size..) I'm going to take another look tomorrow, read a lot of reviews about it, and seems like a solid bike. My reasoning is money is good, and I'm going to stick to this sport so I might as well invest a little more green and have something that I can hold on to for a lot longer, without the desire to upgrade.
Going to start looking at extras tomorrow...pedals, helmets, shorts, and shoes. I don't want to cheap out on these, but then again I don't know what I'm paying for. I have quite a wide foot, so I will just try a bunch on.

And to make things more fun, I twisted my ankle this morning walking to work. :thumbsup: :mad2:

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I went with the Lemond Buenos Aires, and I am so happy with it thus far. Okay so I'm a newbie, but I've ridden several bikes, and this thing is awesome and friggin light!

Its a keeper and my plan is to hold onto it for a very long time. Perhaps upgrade MAYBE the seat, and the handle bars. I'm thinking of throwing on some tri bars, but I'll hold off on those for now.

Today was my first ever ride, I wanted to take it easy since tomorrow morning I'm going to get fitted and have my computer and couple other things put on the bike. My plan was to take it easy and go modest, so I shooting for 10-15 miles. I was enjoying the ride so much, I kept riding until I hit the beach, and ended up doing quite a big loop, a little under 30 miles. My bum hurt towards the end, and I ran out of water. I'm thinking of getting the little water pack on the saddle also.

There is SO many cyclist around here in the morning I really never realized it. And I saw a group riding gathering at one spot I heard about, but I passed since I want to fly solo for several weeks just to get a hang of it all.

One of my gears was giving me some trouble, but I will get that fixed at the shop tomorrow while I'm doing the fitting. (Really glad I went with the LBS route) Just wanted to give an update on what I ended up doing. 2 Thumbs up so far! :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.