Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I very recently started cycling to go on a 10 day 800 mile charity ride and have become hooked.

I am upgrading my bike from base model Roubaix to the SL4 Roubaix and getting Roval Rapide SL 45's. I'm 6' and currently weigh 210 lbs and am losing weight quickly (35 lbs in last 4 months) from riding and eating a little better.

My questions are:
1. Would you ride tubeless on a 10 day 800 mile supported ride, or use tubes? There will be a bike mechanic in a support vehicle probably never more than about 15 minutes away.

and

2. What PSI should I inflate the tubeless tires to during regular rides? I've read that it changes base on your weight, but I've been unable to locate a graph.

Thank you

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
Going tubeless could be a great option for your 10 day ride. Tubeless setups are usually far less prone to flats than tubes. And even if you do get a flat out on the road, you can always toss a normal tube in.

Regarding your second question, there's no definitive answer on that one. Play around with different pressures, and see what feels best. I always find myself running tubeless tires with about 10-15 psi less than my tubed setup.

·
Registered
680 Posts
When I get a flat on my tubeless that caffelatex won't seal, I patch the tire rather than F with a tube. Same amount of work, as long as you're confident you can get the bead re-seated again which I can do with CO2. I don't think a hand pump would work for this though. Practiced the whole thing at home and have done it out on a ride. I'd definitely go tubeless for your 10 day ride. I too run about 15 psi less than I would with tubes. I'd try 85/95 at your weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I've been running 120 psi on my regular DT Swiss 2.0 tires. It sounds like I should be using a little less, I've put around 700 miles on them without a flat.

Do you run the same pressure on the front and back tires?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I've been running 120 psi on my regular DT Swiss 2.0 tires. It sounds like I should be using a little less, I've put around 700 miles on them without a flat.

Do you run the same pressure on the front and back tires?
120 seems high, but with 23 mm tires you may need that.

Look at 25 mm tires too. They give a better ride. The options for tubeless on 25 mm are limited.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Those Roval wheels are not tubeless ready. If you want those wheels (I think there are better choices) run them with tubes. If you want to run tubeless, I would personally get tubeless ready rims.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have 23 mm tires, will 25 mm tires be slower?

Scottma, are you positive they aren't tubeless ready? The LBS seems to think they are; I can't seem to find anything on google one way or the other.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I do have 23 mm tires, will 25 mm tires be slower?

Scottma, are you positive they aren't tubeless ready? The LBS seems to think they are; I can't seem to find anything on google one way or the other.
I don't know of any 25mm road tubeless tires. Fusion 3's can run large, though they are spec'd as 23. I find tubeless 23's to feel similar to clincher 25's because of the lower pressure you can run with tubeless. I don't think those are 2-way fit rims. Will have to get long tubeless valves and rim tape. Or just save a bunch of cash and buy some tubeless ready Ultegras.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Bontrager R3 TLR (tubeless ready) are available in 700x25 and I've been riding and racing on them all year - great tires.

I agree 100% with the comments on getting a tubeless specific rim - something like a Fulcrum 2-way fit would be perfect as you can run it with standard clinchers and tubes if you decide you don't like tubeless. The tubeless specific rims have a "shelf" the bead seals onto - I personally wouldn't want to dive into a corner at 50mph on some ghetto tubeless setup no matter how many people vouched for it on the internet.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I did a 7-day 525-mile ride on tubeless, zero flats. I ran IRC Roadlites on Fulcrum Racing 3 2-Way wheels. Front about 85psi, rear about 95. I weighed about 175. I run them about 10psi lower now even though I'm 10 pounds heavier.

Make sure you stretch and roll out those legs! Good luck on your ride.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Adding a couple more thoughts.

If the Bontrager 25s were available at that time, I probably would have used them. Hutchinson also makes a 25 called the Intensive but I don't like Hutchinson's quality control.

If I were buying a bike for this ride I would look hard at a cyclocross with disks. I rode a Look 566, which is roughly equivalent to the Roubaix geometry. Don't get me wrong, I love my Look, but a cyclo bike is built to take the kind of abuse you'll likely encounter on a long ride like that.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I did a 7-day 525-mile ride on tubeless, zero flats....
That's good to know, but anecdotal experiences don't say much. For example: I did a 450 miles of training in the desert with 4 other riders, 3 running tubes, 1 tubeless, and one tubular. The three guys with tubes had no flats. The tubeless guy got a flat with sealant spewing out. He tubed it. The tubular guy flatted, put in sealant, it didn't hold, and he changed out the wheel (we had a support vehicle). Anyway, this is not enough data or experience to say anything definitive one way or the other about the relative flat resistance or reliability of the three systems.

·
Registered
578 Posts
True enough. I've been running tubeless for about 4,500 miles and have had two flats from debris cuts, one each front and rear. Patched and inflated with CO2 as I'm not confident I can seat the bead with a hand pump. I do carry a spare tube but have never used it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just put on the bonty rxl tubeless setup with 25 mm r3s running about 90 psi. I'm 150 and will try lower pressures. Only maybe 150miles on them but love the ride and the r3s feel great at high speeds. Was on mich prorace 3s prior. Thru Santa Monica mtns,decker etc the tires feel very sticky and stable at some pretty extreme angles. So far very happy with the tubeless benefits and hope to avoid slices. And for a long ride think the smoother ride would be a huge benefit too.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I was not aware they were making tubeless versions of roval carbon fiber clinchers either. Perhaps they're providing you with a Stans "upgrade". I tried to use stands on my assaults. It worked. But if in comparison with a "proper" tubeless rim like my eurus 2way fit, it just didn't seem right. I wouldn't run it during an event like that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.