Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I'm new to road biking, but I'm very athletic, and would like to ride, with a possibility of racing in the future. I dont want to spend a lot of money <$1000, (if possible!). I was hoping for a cheap bike, that I could upgrade later if I do start racing, or get really into road biking.

I'm 6'2" and about 180 pounds (usually from 175-182, but may go up)

according to wrench science, I should have a bike with the following measurements:
61 or 62cm (C to T) frame size
69.665cm (C to C) Reach
46 cm (C to c) Handle Bar width

I dont know what type of material I want, or what kind of riding I'll do. I was thinking, if i really like it, I'd join the UCLA cycling team when I go there.

Thanks
--Zander

·
Registered
611 Posts
There's a New Rider forum that you should probably check out. Lots of good info there.

As far as size, one manufacturer's 60 is another's 62 is another's 59, so you really need to test ride and find what fits you.

I would check the Recycler and craigslist - you'll get a lot more for your money buying used than you would paying full retail. OTOH, a good LBS can help you figure out what is proper fit for you, and there's no denying the value of good service after the sale.

Good luck. Bike shopping is fun.

Jim

·
Registered
635 Posts
if u planning on joining the ucla team, dont spend to much money on a bike now. get something that is used, and ride the heck out of it. most teams get discounts so wait to get a nice bike till you join the team. just a thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.