Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lagging with wide rim introduction, looks like one of my all-time favirite rim manufacturers has introduced what on paper looks like a perfect set of rims. If I didn't have so many wheels and unbuilt rims on stack I would try these immediatley. I cant wait to see the price and first feedbacks.

RV26 - Front wheel rim - 495 g
Darkness Arch Black-and-white Graphics Drawing

RV30 - Rear wheel rim - 550 g
Darkness Arch Graphics Drawing

There is a disc version of RV30 without braking surface called RD30.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
They look like conservatively made rims which is not a bad thing. I don't think they will be very popular with the weight weenies.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Brand nostalgia aside, four years ago those might have been competitive rim choices. By today standards both those rims are 50-80g overweight even for the non-weight weenie minded. There are several excellent wider and/or deeper but still durable rim choices available that are in the 460g to 480g range.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
It would be interesting to see how easy is to fit tires on them and how much tension they loose when fitted.
Short of buying them and experimenting, no other way to find out. No different than any other of the newer offerings in rims. :mad2:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brand nostalgia aside, four years ago those might have been competitive rim choices. By today standards both those rims are 50-80g overweight even for the non-weight weenie minded. There are several excellent wider and/or deeper but still durable rim choices available that are in the 460g to 480g range.
RV26 is some 20-30g heavier than competition (archetype, R460, HED C2) , which is not something that would worry me.
Similar is with RV30 which is 20g heavier than similar DT RR511.
So, all in all I would say they are 20g "overweight" which I will gladly pay for quality. On the other hand my eperience with R460s and archetypes is very good and it is hard to choose something new.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Echoing what beanpole said, I'm not sure that extra grams necessarily equals better quality. Maybe better fit-and-finish (welded seam and nicer machining), but probably not better durability or performance. Sure a top-end rim like HED Belgiums are a joy for wheel builders to build up, but at the end of the day would you notice 0.7mm vs. 0.4mm of lateral runout when riding? I have my doubts. If anything that extra 70g in the back will be noticeable, but not in a good way.

Weight wise here is the competition I was thinking of when I made my post:

RV26:
Pacenti Forza: 25mm deep, 24mm wide, ~465g
HED Belgium C2: 24mm deep, 23mm wide, ~455g

RV30:
Kinlin XR31T OC: 31mm deep, 24mm wide, ~485g
AForce AL33: 32.5 deep, 26mm wide, ~475g

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably you missed 200g for all those rims

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If Rade Šerbedžija sais so, than it is truth :)

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.