Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am new to this forum. I am excited to ride my road bike everyday. Only problem is I may have a bike that is too big. I know there are going to be many that will just tell me to sell my bike and get a new one, but I just love it so much I don't know if I am ready yet to let it go.

Anyway here are some pictures of me on the bike and I would like to be helped out on figuring out what to do to make the bike fit better since its a tad big 55cm Orbea Orca

I know off the bat that I am overextending a bit (which would mean lowering the seat...and it's already low as some people would say.

Anyway anything helpful would be great. Thanks!

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Wood Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
424 Posts
How tall are you? First thing I would do if feeling extended is: get a shorter stem, it will put you more upright. I'm not familiar with your bike so I'm not sure if that is factory seat post or not? It would appear to be swept back considerably. You may be able to replace it with straight post to bring you forward some more. The bike does not appear to be far off size wise. I think it is set up for aggressive riding position and if your not going to be racing anytime soon you may prefer a more upright/ relaxed position.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the frame is comfortable for me. But I know technically it's not scientifically the best. thats why I am reaching out to the forum.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
The frame is too large for you. Once you're at that point, you either sell the bike or 'make it fit', meaning you lower the saddle and install a shorter stem. BUT... the frame will still be too large for you, and your f/r weight distribution *may* be off enough to adversely affect handling.

Not to be defeatist, but odds are good you'll never have that 'dialed in' feeling that many riders talk about - and probably not ride the bike a whole lot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You look fine. Set your saddle height for your pedal stroke...nothing more, nothing less.

Shorten your stem and raise it up a bit to fix your reach.

From the pics you gave us, it looks ok to me. The best is a video with the bike on a trainer while you pedal, but i realize some people don't have that capability.

5'9" at 55cm is probably pretty near perfect. You probably want a 54, but dude that bike is close enough, you can get it to work. Like I said, if the reach feels long, shorten the stem and raise it a little. A little bit makes a big difference. I think you can dial that in no problem at all. Just start with your saddle properly adjusted for your pedal stroke, and go from there. Do not lower your saddle to fix your reach.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Level the saddle!! Don't use saddle tilt-down as a way to get a lower saddle.
Fit a straight seapost with no setback. The saddle is jammed forward on its adjustment.
Get a 100mm stem. Is that a 130mm?
Resist the temptation to flip the stem over.
Rotate the bars up slightly.
Maybe lower the saddle a bit. Do not ride with it too high.

Consider getting a bike fit from a competent person (good luck in finding a competent one).

If these steps don't work, get a smaller frame.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Hey everyone I am new to this forum. I am excited to ride my road bike everyday. Only problem is I may have a bike that is too big. I know there are going to be many that will just tell me to sell my bike and get a new one, but I just love it so much I don't know if I am ready yet to let it go.
Don't confuse love of riding a bike to love of a particular bike. If you love riding a bike that doesn't fit just imagine how much you'd love riding one that does?

I assume you're new to the sport so I'd suggest starting out right by getting a bike that fits. You can compromise and be okay for the rides typical of a new rider but as mileage and effort increases fit problems really start to manifest. For example your saddle is way forward and I strongly suspect that is to shorten the reach and not to place it where is best for your knees and weight distribution. That'll be a big problem that may cause injury when/if you get to the point of doing long rides with sustained high effort.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Frame is too big. Orbea's sizing is bigger than others. IOW, op should probably be on a 51 in that frame. Op probably needs a 535 to less than a 550 TT. I think the op frame is over 560 mm.

While an old school estimation, draw an imaginary line between his eyes and front hub. I would guess op need a less than 60mm stem to get the bars b/t his eyes and hub.

My guess is op will keep the frame. So, buy the shortest stem you can (80 or 90) and get short reach bars.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
that doesn't look like a 100cm stem. not sure what the talk of 90cm is but if you haven't shortened the stem, try. I can see why you love the bike and why you fell in love with the slick carbon look, but you won't ride it as much as a bike that fits. There's a big difference between feeling planted and steady....and constantly reaching. Also, keep in mind that your muscles tense up - and shrink under load - your rested position isn't your 40 miles into it position.

After few years on the bike I got re-fit earlier this season. I see a lot of people on this board with their seat slammed all the way back on the rails, with their arse hanging over the back wheel.... most usually with like a 90 +17 stem, a tilted seat or some other similar eyesore. As of recently, I am really enjoying my new position which has me more over the bb (less setback). My average cadence went through the roof my bars dropped a whole bunch and I am comfier then ever. I suppose it's less of a touring setup and more geared to do my work on the bike and go home. My hip flexors aren't tight as all get out either. Point is...not every seat needs to be slamed back on the rails. Point #2, never move seat forward to shorten reach

go to ebay and buy a used stem or two. If you're getting closer consider the specs of your handlebar...they vary from 7cm to 8.5cm....that's at least one stem size down.... but all this will be throwing good money after... let's just call it slightly bad. Look, if your bars are level with your seat and you're still tilting them up to shorten reach... there's an issue with reach.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Maybe minor issue, but how long are the cranks on that thing? Guessing you may want 172.5 or even 170 if your legs are on the short side, but those could be 175s or longer even...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea this is a tough pill to swallow. So I am looking for some feedback on options I have. I can sell the bike and use that money to buy a 52cm 2013 Scott Foil 30. Or I can save up money and buy a new stem/possibly crank/ and a proper bike fit (running me an extra 500$ about)

What are your guys thoughts? I would keep my reynolds wheels and sell the bike with some kysriums. Otherwise I would keep it and just piece by piece save and put money back into this bike. :-\

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
The bike is a money pit for you.

Sell it and consider the loss the price of tuition for an education in bike fit. We've ALL been there; it's just some of us learned harder (read: more expensive) lessons than others.

Then go out and buy a bike that's better sized for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So peter you think the 13 Foil 30 at 52 would be better? I guess I am never going pro so this is purely for riding exercising and love of the sport

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Yea this is a tough pill to swallow. So I am looking for some feedback on options I have. I can sell the bike and use that money to buy a 52cm 2013 Scott Foil 30. Or I can save up money and buy a new stem/possibly crank/ and a proper bike fit (running me an extra 500$ about)

What are your guys thoughts? I would keep my reynolds wheels and sell the bike with some kysriums. Otherwise I would keep it and just piece by piece save and put money back into this bike. :-\
On the bold statement, sizing comes before fit, so if sizing is off (which on this bike, I'm confident it is), then no fitter is going to get your fit dialed in. What's going to happen is s/he's going to make a series of compromises to get your fit as good as it can get.

More thoughts. Talking about shortish stems on a medium sized frame and no setback posts only confirms that the frame is too large for you... as does the saddle's current height/ fore/ aft positions.

I suggest cutting your loses and either selling or trading the bike. Find a reputable shop or shops and ride some bikes. And try not to get emotional over this. Many of us RBR members see this a lot - people picking bikes that get their adrenaline going, then after a short period of time, we don't see much of them on the forum. Who knows the reasons, but I'd bet oftentimes that road rocket is sitting gathering dust in their garage.

Bikes are tools. Go find one that suites your intended purposes and fits your budget and anatomy.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts

Sell the bike and use the money to buy a frame you and a qualified fitter figure is best.

Don't target a specific bike until it's confirmed it'll work for you. Not offense but if you made this mistake you're probably prone to make another and again not offence but judging by the pictures you don't look like the type of rider that would be best off on a flat out aggressive short head tube racing bike. So while trading a 52 foil may be an improvement it would be just another mistake (I'm guessing).

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
It still wouldn't surprise me if you could actually make this bike work with some component changes, but if you are trying to decide between a 55 on one bike and 52 on another, despite brands, you may need to go see a shop/fitter for some advice (and keep in mind said advice may not be free). Have you brought your bike to a shop for fitting advice, yet?

It's a pretty cool frame, touted as the 2008 Olympic road race winner, etc. It would not surprise me if the original owner had the opposite issue and got a bike too small, hence change to long stem, long cranks, etc. You shouldn't spend too much on a stem (at least at first) and you can probably make back whatever you spend on the cranks by buying used and then selling the ones you have.

Others have a point, though, if it's not going to fit in the end, sell it. Somebody should pay well if it's in good condition, although it is circa 2009 in model year.

Lastly, regarding keeping the wheels... if the wheels are as old as the bike, they may not be 11-speed compatible. Keep that in mind if you were thinking to keep them to put on a newer bike.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts