Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people:

Yesterday I got my brand spankin' new 2006 Giant TCR Limited in exchange for designing a local bike shop's website! I haven't had a chance to ride the thing yet, which is killing me, but I'm super stoked to finally have it!

It's got:
  • Full carbon frame and fork
  • Ultegra 10 speed groupo minus crankset
  • Travativ Giga X Pipe bb with Rouleur crankset
  • Fairly cheesey/cool wheelset Xero Brand?
  • A pretty nerdly seat that needs to get replaced
The only riding I've done on it was from the bike shop to my pad and that was with my fixed gear slung over my shoulder, so that doesn't really count.

Here are a few pics!

Excited,
Arby

weeheeheeeeeee!

·
my legs hurt
1,041 Posts
not a generous LBS, more like a business savvy LBS. They could spend upwards of 10k (sometimes a lot more!) getting a well designed website from a marketing firm or a private party. Websitea re expensive to build and unless you have an internal position they often run over time a budget. Think about it, good websites can take hundreds of hours to design and work out all of the bugs, take 200 hrs and pay some schmo $20 an hr to design it, bam, $4000 dollars right there (and $20/hr is fairly low). I had friends in college who designed websites for local companies for $1000-$4000 and the companies thought they were getting the better end of the deal! believe me, the shop getting what I can only assume is a great website for the dealer cost of a giant tcr...good trade i'd say

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yet another web trade

My wife takes care of a LBS website. She has an hourly rate and the LBS honors the rate as trade dollars. Works very well for both sides. In addition, she is a rolling advertisement for the shop as everything she wears and rides comes from them. They consider her a virtual employee. The relationship is great.

check out the site at:

www.clemmonsbicycle.com

In addition, I race for the shop team and the link is on the bottom left.

Konaken

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep

beantownbiker said:
not a generous LBS, more like a business savvy LBS. They could spend upwards of 10k (sometimes a lot more!) getting a well designed website from a marketing firm or a private party. Websitea re expensive to build and unless you have an internal position they often run over time a budget. Think about it, good websites can take hundreds of hours to design and work out all of the bugs, take 200 hrs and pay some schmo $20 an hr to design it, bam, $4000 dollars right there (and $20/hr is fairly low). I had friends in college who designed websites for local companies for $1000-$4000 and the companies thought they were getting the better end of the deal! believe me, the shop getting what I can only assume is a great website for the dealer cost of a giant tcr...good trade i'd say
Yep, I didn't go overboard at all on their website. But it's a HUGE improvement over their last website; that was just lame. I think I got the better end of the deal on this one; I put in a rediculously small amount of time to make their site and once they pay for a host (yahoo will host for $9/mo) I am free and clear of the whole deal.. no updating even!

You can check out their site here, where I have it hosted from my own site temporarily.
http://www.phatt

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
Nice clean design

easy to navigate...coud be a bit more personal, didn't get much of a feeling of the shop itself. Not the fault of the design, maybe you could coax a few shop pic's on the front page?

Who will be keeping up their calendar of events? Is that part of your agreement? I have a few small "clients" (do it for free) and that issue is always one that keeps coming back to me.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
racerx said:
easy to navigate...coud be a bit more personal, didn't get much of a feeling of the shop itself. Not the fault of the design, maybe you could coax a few shop pic's on the front page?

Who will be keeping up their calendar of events? Is that part of your agreement? I have a few small "clients" (do it for free) and that issue is always one that keeps coming back to me.
Yep, there are is deffinitely going to be a picture of the shop on the home page, but for now I just filled the space with a riding shot. There are a couple of other small items that need to be addressed yet, but for the most part it's done. I will probably keep up the events section for them as well. But, that's pretty easy.

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
beantownbiker said:
not a generous LBS, more like a business savvy LBS. They could spend upwards of 10k (sometimes a lot more!) getting a well designed website from a marketing firm or a private party.
That's no joke. My company recently spent ~ that much on a Web site design and all the guy did was basically photoshop the visuals. It was still up to me to implement it. Alas, I think the "designer" was a college drinking buddy of the company's new owner or something :mad2:

Designing and implementing a site can EASILY exceed the cost of a bike for that shop.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ha, it's funny I do more or less the exact same thing for my lbs, we trade my hours for their bikes etc. The good part is that i've now more or less become their "computer guy" so I get a good amount of hours.

http://www.martinswiss.net - this is the first revision of the site, and I'm uploading a much cleaned up version this weekend. I like how the header changes , and the logo is from their Shop Jerseys so it has some decent consistancy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just picked up a Bianchi San Jose from Broadway. I like that shop... unfortunately, the front of the place ain't much to look at, neither is the vacant lot right next to it.

Maybe I can get a free bike if design a new facade for the shop!

:D

Nice work arby

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.