Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum. Getting back to road biking after many, many years. I've narrowed my search for a new bike to the 2010 or 2011 Trek 2.1. I've placed a small deposit to hold the 2010 model while awaiting arrival of the corresponding 2011 model for comparison. The Trek 2.1 is mostly Shimano 105 components. LBS price for the bike is good.

There are only minor changes (saddle, handlebars, cassette, brakes, tires) in equipment between the 2010 and 2011 models. I'm thinking the final decision will be mostly color preference/cosmetics (black 2010 or platinum/blue 2011).

I rode the 2010 today on a trainer at my LBS due to rain. It felt good. Good to be back in the saddle. My uses for the bike will be primarily fitness and possibly group rides as I meet riders in my area.

I appreciate any opinions on this model or model years....any preferences, cautions, etc??

Advice appreciated...
Regards

·
Registered
864 Posts
Should get you started.
I like the built in speed trap they have for the wireless odometer sensor, my Gary Fisher has it too. The more you spend the better you get, hope in 2 years you don't need to upgrade, if you have the money now, upgrade

link to Trek 2.1
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/2_series/21/.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiker and Knee,
Thanks for your reply and feedback.

Knee,
It sounds like you are recommending the 2011 model. Is the new 105 groupset a considerable improvement over the previous groupset?? The cassette range is a little different...12-27 on the 2010, and 11-28 on the 2011 model....also, I'm getting the 'compact' 50/34 double crank.

Any disadvantage to internal cable routing on the bars??

Thanks again
Regards

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Have you looked at other mfr's and like Trek better or only looked at Trek? With both Trek and Specialized you pay a chunk for the name. Felt generally provides more bang for your buck at the level you're looking at - you might be able to get Ultegra or Force level components, better wheels, etc.

Regardless of bike, make sure you're properly fitted - makes far more difference than bike upgrade.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
InfiniteLoop said:
Felt generally provides more bang for your buck at the level you're looking at - you might be able to get Ultegra or Force level components, better wheels, etc.
I disagree, the Felt bike with 105 actually costs 100 dollars more.

The Trek is a really nice bicycle to start out with, especially if you have your heart set on a Trek.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies and feedback.

Bump...to get answers to questions below regarding the 2010 and 2011 models:

Kneedragon,
It sounds like you are recommending the 2011 model. Is the new 105 groupset on the 2011Trek 2.1 a considerable improvement over the 105 groupset on the 2010?? The cassette range is a little different...12-27 on the 2010, and 11-28 on the 2011 model....also, I'm getting the 'compact' 50/34 double crank. Lastly, any disadvantage to internal cable routing on the bars on the 2011 model??

Infinite,
I looked at Cannondale, Scott, Specialized and Scattante. I'm know I could hunt down other brands as well and possibly put together a marginally better deal. However, I rode the Trek 2.1 on a trainer (it was raining out) and it felt good to me. My LBS deal is 1,199 for the 2010 or 2011 (H2) model Trek 2.1...the 2010 is in stock and they ordered the 2011, H2 at my request, so I could compare and choose either model for the same price. I called a few shops and tried to get the Trek at a lower price for cash, however 1,199 was the lowest any of the LBS would go in my area, cash or credit, for a 2.1 Trek. The CAD 9 was real nice but 2-3 C-notes more than the Trek 2.1. Of the bikes I've mentioned, the only better price was a Scattante with a few upgraded components, but I only saw that bike online and reviews were mixed. Interestingly, both the Trek and Scattante are made in Korea.

So right now the decision is between the 2010 and 2011 Treks. For my intended use (training and possibly non-compet. group rides), the Trek 2.1 seems like a decent value for the $$, and the 58cm frame fits me just fine....

Open to more advice... I'm getting back into road bikes after many years away...

Thanks again
Regards

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Unless I missed it, I'm not seeing where you've ridden many (if any) bikes out on the road. If this is the case, I suggest doing so, because while being sized/ fitted on a trainer is fine, you want to get out on the road to get a feel for the ride and handling of a bike.

If the Treks fit, IMO they're a fine choice given your intended purposes, but ride before you buy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
albertg said:
Thanks all for the replies and feedback.

Bump...to get answers to questions below regarding the 2010 and 2011 models:

Kneedragon,
It sounds like you are recommending the 2011 model. Is the new 105 groupset on the 2011Trek 2.1 a considerable improvement over the 105 groupset on the 2010?? The cassette range is a little different...12-27 on the 2010, and 11-28 on the 2011 model....also, I'm getting the 'compact' 50/34 double crank. Lastly, any disadvantage to internal cable routing on the bars on the 2011 model??

Infinite,
I looked at Cannondale, Scott, Specialized and Scattante. I'm know I could hunt down other brands as well and possibly put together a marginally better deal. However, I rode the Trek 2.1 on a trainer (it was raining out) and it felt good to me. My LBS deal is 1,199 for the 2010 or 2011 (H2) model Trek 2.1...the 2010 is in stock and they ordered the 2011, H2 at my request, so I could compare and choose either model for the same price. I called a few shops and tried to get the Trek at a lower price for cash, however 1,199 was the lowest any of the LBS would go in my area, cash or credit, for a 2.1 Trek. The CAD 9 was real nice but 2-3 C-notes more than the Trek 2.1. Of the bikes I've mentioned, the only better price was a Scattante with a few upgraded components, but I only saw that bike online and reviews were mixed. Interestingly, both the Trek and Scattante are made in Korea.

So right now the decision is between the 2010 and 2011 Treks. For my intended use (training and possibly non-compet. group rides), the Trek 2.1 seems like a decent value for the $$, and the 58cm frame fits me just fine....

Open to more advice... I'm getting back into road bikes after many years away...

Thanks again
Regards
As others have said, ride all of the bikes you've looked at. Pick the one that fits and feels the best. That being said, the Cannondale CAAD9 is considered one of the best aluminum frames out there. If you can wait, the CAAD10 will be out for 2011 and it will be lighter and most likely it will be better.

If you end up going with the Trek 2.1, based on what you've said, I would go for the 2011 if you can get it for the same price as the 2010 from your LBS. The new 105 components are lighter and have some improvements to the technology that have trickled down from the Ultegra line. You can Google the new "Shimano 105 5700 groupset" for the details. The 11-28 cassette will give you a wider range of gears than the 12-27. Internal cable routing will require a tad more maintenance, but seeing as how all pretty much all of the newest groupsets do this, it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all...

I will be doing some test rides on the road this week before making a final decision.

Regards

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hooben said:
I disagree, the Felt bike with 105 actually costs 100 dollars more.
Maybe it's just at the upper end then. When I was looking over the past year Felt was considerably cheaper for Red, Ultegra, DA, and DI2 than any other bikes I looked at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts