Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Sorry for having to bring this up, I know it is the sort of question that people love to hate, but I am just getting into road riding after a bit of a hiatus from mountain biking due to injury. As I have next to no clue about road bikes and equipment I was hoping I could get a little input from people here as to two bikes I have been considering.

The two bikes in question were the:
Cannondale R500 and the
Specialized Allez Comp (or was in the Elite...).

From what I could see both '05 bikes had pretty much the same spec. I know alot of people say go with the one that feels best, unfortunately I havn't had a chance to
test ride yet (some time in the next week though) . What are peoples thoughts on the quality of the two bikes.

Not sure if this is any help but I am 6 feet tall and currently weigh 230lbs (thanks to being able to get very little exercise)

edit: It was the Elite and not the Comp.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
bits said:
any takers on the merits of either of these two bikes?
They're both fine. Both frames are made in Taiwan, and most likely of similar quality. Heck, even the geometries are similar. The only difference is that one has sloping top tube, the other has horizontal top tube, and some component differences, which are probably negligible.

Ride both, see whether you like sloping or horz top tube, see which one is cheaper.

Of course, assuming that you can find the correct size for you at the bike shop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
orange_julius said:
They're both fine. Both frames are made in Taiwan, and most likely of similar quality.
Well . . . its true that both are nice enough bikes. However, the Cannondale frame is made in the U.S.A., if that matters to you.

Assuming it doesn't, its been my experience that the Allez frames are total rockets, but can beat you up a bit (check the straight stays -- nice and stiff). However, the Cannondale is a "race proven" frame, and supposedly rides more compliantly than the Allez. I agree that you should test ride them and see which you like better. Generally, without poring over a component list, the Specialized will likely have slightly nicer components, while some of the Cannondale's costs are built into the higher cost of producing the frame in the U.S.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i love my cannondale....the specialized will beat you up a bit more. go with the cannondale and upgrade the components!

bits said:
Hi all,

Sorry for having to bring this up, I know it is the sort of question that people love to hate, but I am just getting into road riding after a bit of a hiatus from mountain biking due to injury. As I have next to no clue about road bikes and equipment I was hoping I could get a little input from people here as to two bikes I have been considering.

The two bikes in question were the:
Cannondale R500 and the
Specialized Allez Comp (or was in the Elite...).

From what I could see both '05 bikes had pretty much the same spec. I know alot of people say go with the one that feels best, unfortunately I havn't had a chance to
test ride yet (some time in the next week though) . What are peoples thoughts on the quality of the two bikes.

Not sure if this is any help but I am 6 feet tall and currently weigh 230lbs (thanks to being able to get very little exercise)

edit: It was the Elite and not the Comp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts