Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Road Bike Review Board:

I need your input and suggestion. My spouse has agreed to let me buy a new road bike after my coming back from Iraq!
I have 4 contenders in the running for the Job:

Cervelo Soloist (Carbon)

Colnago Extreme C

Colnago Presidente

or Specialized S works tarmac

I saved my pennies and planning on decking it out.

Campy or Shimano

I am looking at zero gravity brakes and a carbon handle bar and stem.

Any ideas, please lets see what you guys can tell me. Any other bikes I should consider?

I am retiring my C-40 (it has earned a nice rest on the trainer). So any help you smart and savy folks can give would be immense. I also promise to post "Naked Bike Photos when the new one is born"
Your friendly neighborhood spiderman :cool:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
First of all, welcome back from Iraq. I appreciate your service to our country through difficult circumstances. Secondly, those are some pretty serious bikes...does your spouse have cycling experience. I would go with the Specialized S Works Tarmac with Shimano. It's really a trick looking bike, and the compact frame geometry is pretty comfortable ..
Good luck and happy riding!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
the spyder said:
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Road Bike Review Board:

I need your input and suggestion. My spouse has agreed to let me buy a new road bike after my coming back from Iraq!
I have 4 contenders in the running for the Job:

Cervelo Soloist (Carbon)

Colnago Extreme C

Colnago Presidente

Campy or Shimano

I am looking at zero gravity brakes and a carbon handle bar and stem.

Any ideas, please lets see what you guys can tell me. Any other bikes I should consider?

I am retiring my C-40 (it has earned a nice rest on the trainer). So any help you smart and savy folks can give would be immense. I also promise to post "Naked Bike Photos when the new one is born"
Your friendly neighborhood spiderman :cool:
A C-40 in the trainer? :(

I will give you $100 for it and send you a weekly picture of me smiling as I take it out for a spin. :rolleyes:

·
Slowpoke
73 Posts
I shopped around for a year before deciding on the frame I wanted, then rode some possible alternatives and waited for 2 years until I could afford it. If you like a cushy but stiff frame, consider the Argon 18 Platinum. I compared it to some Treks and it was much more comfortable.
Mine has OG-Ti brakes - love 'em. If the frame wasn't matte carbon, I would have gone for the grey finished OG-SS brakes and saved a bunch of money. I considered CF bars, but they actually weigh more and I have enough cush with my frame and wheels.
One of the nice things about the Platinum is not everybody is riding them. Not snob factor per se, it's just nice to not have a "me too" ride.

·
Registered
456 Posts
the spyder said:
Cervelo Soloist (Carbon)

Colnago Extreme C

Colnago Presidente

Campy or Shimano
Have you ridden all of these bikes? I haven't. But I would immagine that each has it's own unique ride qualities. They are all good bikes. You won't go wrong with any of them. The most important factor, everything else being equal, would be bike fit and ride quality--wich one do YOU like best?

·
Registered
82 Posts
try www.competitivecyclist.com

Brendan has a ton of info for you regarding the Cervelos and Colnagos. i got my bike from him and would do it again. not 100% sure but i think there is a discount for those in the armed forces. if it were my choice, i think it would be between the soloist and the Sworks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts