Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say hi, and introduce myself, as this is my first post here. I've been MTB'ing for a few years now, mostly XC, and I purchased my first road bike today. I ordered a specialized allez sport. I'm the first to admit that I don't know jack about road bikes, but it seems like I picked up a pretty decent one. I'm excited to get out there and try out this end of cycling. I have a feeling I'm gonna love it too. Does anyone here have any experience on this bike? Is it a good choice for someone just getting into road cycling? Thanks in advance for any replies I get here.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
It's a good introductory bike. I road a 2003 for a while and it was a fine ride. I just felt I outgrew the components and ended up buying my Felt. The bike has since been passed on to another rider who is loving it. You should really enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Both ways?

I go both ways MTB and Road. Like yourself I rode MTB exclusively before. But decided to go road because I wanted to have a quick workout without going to the trails. It will feel weird at first with the bike geometry and lots of flat tires, but you'll get use to it pretty quickly and you get to go really fast once you get the hang of it.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
the Specialized Allez Sport (double) 05 was my first bike and represented my return to road biking after a 15+ year rest. the 05 and 06 models are similarly spec'd. overall, i was reasonably satisfied with the bike but eventually developed upgrade-itis. first thing i did was to buy a new wheelset - Campy Protons. what a difference they made! the bike felt a lot more stable on high speed descends and climbing became addictive.

you definitely won't go wrong with the allez sport as a first bike.

boon

·
Banned
657 Posts
Marcus75 said:
I go both ways MTB and Road. Like yourself I rode MTB exclusively before. But decided to go road because I wanted to have a quick workout without going to the trails. It will feel weird at first with the bike geometry and lots of flat tires, but you'll get use to it pretty quickly and you get to go really fast once you get the hang of it.
For a quick work out I find road bikes too fast & far. I just put my mtn on the street, go half the distance, in twice the time w/ the same effort as w/ a road bike. I have one of my mtns rigged w/ "cross" tires. Plus, you can run over anything. The blast of raod biking is the ease at which you can ride & cover great distance on a bike as light as a feather. Like floating along the road.

·
Registered
738 Posts
A word to the wise...

Don't try bunnyhopping stuff on you road bike, the things are light and you'l be tempted!

I built a nice road bike a few years back... Ti frame, full Ultegra. On the first ride only 1/2 mile from the house I bunnyhopped a curb. I landed hard, flattened my rear and dinged my new rim! You shoulda' seen the look on my wifes face when I came back carrying the bike only 5 minutes after I had left...priceless!

Friggin mountainbikers...can't take 'em anywhere;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Usually I MTB in NJ. I hit trails that are close to my house like Allaire, Hartshorne, and Clayton. I decided to try road biking because I usually don't feel like loading my MTB onto my car after I work a 10 hr shift. I figure, having a road bike will be nice because I can just hop on it after dinner, or anytime I have free time for that matter, and just go for a ride. I will be riding 7 days a week now. I have a feeling I'm gonna love the speed of road biking. It's definitely gonna be an adjustment for me though because I'm used to smashing it up on the trails and I guess now I have to learn how to take it easier on a bike. I couldn't believe how light the bike I test rode felt. It was the same bike I bought, just a little bit larger than the size I needed. Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions once I get started on wednesday when my bike arrives and I take her out for a spin. I'm sure everyone here is gonna be more than helpful.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Welcome. This is a great forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.